1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is wrong with Brioni?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Martingale, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Martingale

Martingale Member

I have been reading this forum for years. I was never a member but time has come and i have said to myself that enough is enough. I have to speak my mind.

I browsed recently the new Brioni website. I was appalled by the new logo. After a little search i saw their new creative designer, deirector or whatever else title is a guy who looks like a hipster, tattooed everywhere. And finally i saw the new continental suit on their online shop. Who would ever dare to wear this in a job interview or in a business lunch or in any other business event? What do hipsters have to do with a brand which epitomizes subtlety, luxury, and upper class-bourgeois values, Metallica and a logo which i could have made myself on MS Paint? Give me a break!

I hope that some corporate dinosaurs of the brand read this. I enjoy my existing Brioni suits, i will buy whatever is left from the old school Brioni and switch to Kiton.

2 people like this.
  2. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

And you couldnt have made their former logo in Paint?

As to their suits, wouldn't ever consider paying over $5,000 for an off the shelf anyway but walk through the City and you'll see many in much worse than what they're offering.

3. pine tree

pine tree Well-Known Member

Maybe they thought the classical menswear space is oversaturated with other brands like kiton and decided to reach out to a new group of customers. Kind of makes sense except that they forgot to drop their prices to a level that those new people can afford.

4. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I don't see anything wrong with the cut of the suits, but what's up with the self-fabric buttons?

I'm still mystified by the Metallica connection. But it's similar to when Cadillac licenced Led Zeppelin music for their commercials.

5. Martingale

Martingale Member

The price tag is another issue. Personally, i buy Brioni because where i live we do not have tailors and i cannot make long travels and have to wait for months to have my suit delivered.

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its window display at Barneys NY

7. double00

double00 Senior member

chasing Thom Browne

chasing Varvatos

one could argue that Zep chose Cadillac, they don't hardly let anybody use their music (but i believe that heralded the introduction of the CTS which kind of made sense)

i'd think an italian brand could offer a product and marketing concept a little more "continental" than metallica. i dunno. i guess that's what you get when you hire a self-educated hipster to steward your brand.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  8. Martingale

Martingale Member

Exactly this with the hipsters.

9. Sharpiehs

Sharpiehs Active Member

This..

10. Viral

Viral Senior member

Ummmm.......please remind us....who are you??

I'm sorry, but I'm sure nobody at Brioni is going to check with you before making decisions about their business.

Sorry to break it to you....

1 person likes this.
  11. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

12. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Maybe they should... Smart businesses never turn back on customer base that made them what they are - in this case wealthy, probably middle aged men, that appreciate classical style.

This is what happens when brand is taken over by "investors", who install bunch of flashy designers and copy/paste recent MBA graduates and spreadsheet managers, with 0 experience in real world.
    "We should appeal to gen-Z... Milenials will soon have all the buying power... "

Yeah, sure... The problem is, once they acquire buying power, they will want to wear Kiton and Attolini, just like they will want to drive Ferrari and not some hybrid crap.

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

The pearl clutching is strong in this thread.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. double00

double00 Senior member

The "who?" seems obvious enough: OP is somebody who has apparently bought brioni in the past and will likely stop in the near future.

15. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

I have to admit I grew up idolising Brioni and dreaming of getting a Brioni suit. A barrister I used to work closely with had one and I drooled over it. Stunning but I never though I could justify $5K on a suit when I was looking through 18yo eyes.

Now that I can afford it I don't have one of their suits. I have a sports jacket and a gillet - both of which I got on 50% sale.

And when I go into their store I don't see anything I like. It's all for ageing Euro playboys hoping for a last fling and young asians who are sick of Gucci and think there is something cool about Brioni because it's "old school", when the sad reality is that it isn't anymore at all.

I wish they went back to their roots.

But maybe they were tanking already and thought this was the way out? Who knows.

16. Sander

Sander Senior member

I see no other explanation.

I'm totally mystified by the development, but that doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, business-wise. I'm sure they didn't sink this kind of money into an overhaul without having a new target audience in mind, market analysis etc. And to be honest, from my perspective it isn't a loss for classic menswear as well; there are a lot of brands that do the same thing they do, just without the big name and thus for a better price.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  17. Martingale

Martingale Member

I am a client and they'd better check with me if they want me to spend my money on their product.

18. ericjens7

ericjens7 Active Member

The PG article hit it on the head. They were bought out by Kering and put in the direction of a "fashion brand". In so doing Brioni has neglected and forsaken their sartorial history. It is really sad. When I first decided to take on the task of being a bespoke tailor Brioni was a work of art to me. A respected brand that was upholding the sartorial tradition. It's sad to see how "Gucci" it is now and how far from hand made it is. If one ever has the courage to open up a $8k off the peg suit you will be surprised at how little hand work is left inside a modern Brioni

19. pine tree

pine tree Well-Known Member

How do you know it wasn't that core customer base that started the downfall? Now a days, those people aren't keen to spending $5,000 on suits as they used to