What is with Lighter Brown Shoes and Navy lately?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lino, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Lino

Lino Senior member

I am seeing this more and more. Light brown shoes (from almost bone tan to chestnut, sometimes with a bit more orange) and navy suits.

For example:

These [​IMG]

Or these (I know it's John Lobb, but...) [​IMG]

Another example [​IMG]

Or even these very light ones (the secong from right"”I saw an example of this color (not this shoe) paired with a dark Kiton suit in the window of Barneys): [​IMG]

What happened to brown shoes with a suit being dark?

I mentioned this to some folks at work and I was told "it's the new thing". All I could think is, "how long will it last?"

GQ is on my side, at least they where in January of 2005: http://men.style.com/gq/fashion/styleguy/shoes/498

2. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

It's a flashy look, no question. It won't be fashionable forever, but it will be stylish.

Tom

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Italian style. Disregarding the colour, most of those shoes are too rustic to be paired with something like a navy suit, IMO. I hate that look.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

[​IMG]

5. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I prefer dark brown, personally.

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

First of all, I don't like bluchers with suits like those posted above anyway, unless they are more formal-looking derbies such that the laces aren't visible under the trouser at all. Second, I do wear lighter colored shoes with darker trousers and like the look. Like with a gray:

[​IMG]

And, although burgundy/oxblood is usually my go to shoe with black, I also wear dark brown with black:

[​IMG]

There is nothing wrong with wearing shoes lighter than your trousers, in my opinion.

7. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

brown is for farmer

8. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

It won't be fashionable forever, but it will be stylish.

Tom

Can I quote you on that? Oh wait, I just did!

I love the look, but I wouldn't wear it to a very formal business situation. It's a little more casual for me.

brown is for farmer

Oh no you di'in!

9. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

It's very poular in Italy. I don't like it either. I prefer black shoes with suits anyway.

!luc

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I'm a brown-shoes-with-suits kind of guy, and have been known to sport a lighter, chestnut brown with navy. It's certainly not an everyday look, but it's good for a change.

11. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I'm a brown-shoes-with-suits kind of guy, and have been known to sport a lighter, chestnut brown with navy. It's certainly not an everyday look, but it's good for a change.

I agree,I like the contrast of the cool to warm color. It took some getting used to the contrast, but especially in spring I enjoy the change. I think if it is a classic shoe, and you have some color up top, the dark contrast of the suit can fit nicely.

12. marc237

marc237 Senior member

It may well be my poor clothing judgment, but I like the look of lighter brown shoes with navy and do that combination myself. I would probably not wear it to court or to a very serious litigation meeting, but then if I really wanted to blend, I would have to revamp the wardrobe in any event.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I wear a lot of light brown with suits, I even have a red pair of oxfords that I wear with a suit and tie. I wear derbies with suits as well. I think that it is a matter of making sure that the combination is good rather than going by hard and fast rules.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Is it safe to say that based on these responses there are no hard and fast rules across the board, and it really is a matter of personal taste and whether you think the combo you choose pulls off the look you're looking for? I'm certainly glad my tastes of someone in his late twenties is quite different than that of "older executive." Maybe when I'm 50 or 60 sitting on the board of directors of some company I can comment on the "young punks." But for now, I'll be one of those punks with the light brown shoes and a dark suit.

15. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Is it safe to say that based on these responses there are no hard and fast rules across the board, and it really is a matter of personal taste and whether you think the combo you choose pulls off the look you're looking for? I'm certainly glad my tastes of someone in his late twenties is quite different than that of "older executive." Maybe when I'm 50 or 60 sitting on the board of directors of some company I can comment on the "young punks." But for now, I'll be one of those punks with the light brown shoes and a dark suit.

Actually, I wear light brown shoes with a dark suit and am 50. Guess I am just an older punk.