• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is too stylish?

HHHH

Reaction score
I have a client that is fairly business professional which is ok because I like wearing my suits but I am just concerned about being overly stylish. Today I wore a black suit with a dark blue shirt and felt like people were eyeballing me.

GQ Lawyer

Reaction score
I don't think anything can be considered "too stylish." What you must keep in mind when dressing is 1) what the occasion is and 2) who your audience is.

During the day time for business wear, a black suit with a dark shirt may look to clubish or runwayish. The last thing that you want, especially in a business meeting, is to make others feel uncomfortable. One way to do this is to make them feel "underdressed" or that you are trying to show them up.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I've always been taught that you can never be too overdressed. It's better to go over than to miss by a bit. Of course, I can see how this would be a problem in intimidating your client (not a good thing). So when you get dressed for a meeting of some sort, keep in mind whom you will encounter.

AmericanDevil

Reaction score
Business requires subtle style, and although i dont consider the outfit you wore to be over the top by any means, maybe you would consider tryin a shirt with cooler colors, light blue or something like it. Also consider that your clients are older than you, and most likely everyone else is too, I say that because it sounds as if your still feeling around for your own style in your offices. These people may not be used to fresher looking suits and newer styles. get your self in a position where people need to conform there style to yours, and break the mold. Were gonna change the world of style brother, we're the up and comers.
biggrin.gif

CT_madrigal

Reaction score
biggrin.gif
Always dress for the occasion. I believe that being overdressed is going to a frat party in an Armani suit. Under dressed would be arriving in clothes that haven't been washed in a million years. Most days now I wear a simple micropique polo shirt with differnet patters or simply solid.

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Oh, look, another dead thread we might revive and let stray away from the original topic.

I think the topic can only be analysed if one lives in the most stylish city on the planet, has reached the upper echelons of cultural society, and knows everything there is to know about style. Only then can one have an opinion on what's too stylish.

Therefore, I can not answer.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Oh, look, another dead thread we might revive and let stray away from the original topic.

I think the topic can only be analysed if one lives in the most stylish city on the planet, has reached the upper echelons of cultural society, and knows everything there is to know about style. Only then can one have an opinion on what's too stylish.

Therefore, I can not answer.

Let's not start comparing cities again....

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
I think being too stylish has three easily recognisable factors to it;
  • Where the setting is taking place
  • The cultural expressions and variations within the area/social group
  • Ones own understanding of the first two, and ones willingness to break them
One doesn't show up to an ice hockey game in a glitter shirt, unless one wants to out-glamour the ketchup-stained jerseys that're there.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about too stylish, but reviving old threads is never in style!

muaha ha ha ha!!!

012D0153-B3F3-4CE7-8C91-AC7AE043FA33.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads