1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is "To Boot New York"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I like To Boot, but it never seems worth paying full retail when they're so easy to find on sale.

I've also found that their sizing varies, sometimes by a wide margin.

Finally, they don't come in wide which is a problem for some.

2. rbarnette

rbarnette Member

I like lots of nice things that I never pay full price for, that's a given, with www.amazon.com, google shopping and www.dealnews.com, www.slickdeals.net, www.6pm.com, www.beyondtherack.com, www.lastcall.com there is little reason to pay full price unless you really want something and can't wait for the next retail cycle!

It's true they don't come in "wide" sizes, but the shoes are more "American" sized than anything truly Italian, so they are a little wider and longer to begin with.
    I wear a 13 but in TBNY I wear a size 12. Love the design, very fresh and looks professional with a suit or great with jeans. Versatile.

The Hadley in T.Moro finish are fantastic: http://www.6pm.com/to-boot-new-york-hadley-tmoro

A great "hack" for the TBNY Boots is to remove the flimsy half of the insole, and replace it with this: http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Scholls-Ma...sr=8-12&keywords=dr+scholls+dress+shoe+insert

Way more comfortable!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I really like their frozen yogurt, especially chocolate with chocolate sprinkles.

3 people like this.
  4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I would more or less agree with this comparison though all of those brands have quality variances. I have 2 pair of To Boot New York and enjoy them both. They are solid enough and I have no complaints .

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

I used to sell To Boots a while back at Nordstrom and when I was there they were all corrected grain leather. Never sat well with me. Is that still the case?

6. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

People who shop-around online are bottom-feeders?:facepalm:

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

So the current incarnation (last 10 years or so) of To Boot leaves a lot to desire but there was a time when the shoes were made in England and they were comparable to Crockett and Jones, probably made by them. They had an outlet in Woodbury, where you could get good deals. At some point, not sure if Derrick sold the brand, they went to cheap construction/materials. To Boot was still the manager of the greatly missed Bergdorf shoe dept. when they still carried Lobb, Vass, Kiton etc. I remember being there when they were getting rid of the good stuff, picking up a pair of Vass and the salesman introduced me to the new manager of the shoe dept.. I asked him why he was getting rid of all those great shoe brands. His answer was that they had two types of customers. Those that come in and buy the big brands without care for price (Gucci, Prada etc. and as he was saying that, a guy was there with his wife picking out about 6 pairs of Gucci's for him and his attitude was, "just ring them up") and those that buy "classic" shoes without regard to brand. He told me that he could sell a lower priced shoe (Bontoni and BG house brand which I think he said was made by Bontoni) to that customer, keeping them happy, but almost double his margin. He said very few, if anyone, cared about welting, channeled soles etc. Flashy leathers and shapes is what he wanted to carry. He said for those that cared, he was going to bring in Corthay (and later they got rid of Corthay because they claimed Corthay never met any delivery deadlines). Haven't been there in years, not sure what they are carrying now.

8. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Personally, I wine about whenever possible

9. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

This is pure comedic gold. If it was allowed, I'd sig' the entire thing.

10. SidewinderX

SidewinderX Senior member

I just snagged a pair of the Kilburn boots at Nordstrom rack.
    [​IMG]
    (The toe/heel on my pair isn't quite as pre-distressed as this photo... a really nice red-brown suede for me)

rbarnette: how did you remove the insole? The insole in mine seems fairly comfortable, but I can feel the forward edge starting to peel up.

11. rbarnette

rbarnette Member

12. Craig1978

Craig1978 New Member

Hello. New to the forum. I found this place as I am trying to learn how to take care of my shoes better now that I am investing in nicer ones. One of my recent purchases was the To Boot New York Brennan boot. I bought it because it felt like a slipper the first time I put it on at Nordstrom. And I love the way it looks. Here is a link.

At any rate, I am shopping at The Hanger Project and trying to determine what Saphir products I should order to take care of these boots. Anybody with a good eye, and or some experience, who can suggest what color Saphir waxes, creams, etc. to buy? I need to use a resin to repair a deep scuff at the bottom of the heel from when I slipped going down some concrete steps!

The To Boot Brennans are very comfortable, but I've found that they scuff easily. This is my fault for not building up a protective layer of wax first, but perhaps the leather is also soft. Thanks in advance - Craig

13. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

On my phone right now so don't have the link handy, but there is a shoe care thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

14. Paul79

Paul79 New Member

I own a pair of TBNY Edward shoes. I have had them for just over 1 year. Unfortunately, about 3 months in, they started creasing - which isn't a crime except that one shoe had nice smooth creases while the other had rough creases that didn't look good at all. They were the first sign of trouble. Despite cleaning, creaming and polishing, that shoe then started to show a split in the leather where the upper meets the top of the sole - a small crack. Despite further efforts to maintain, that small crack is probably now about a half a centimetre and there is a similar crack on the other side of the same shoe. Now they are a disaster as water or moisture just soaks right into the crack.

For $425 here in Toronto, I'd say the shoes were (of 5):
    - style: 4
    - comfort: 3.5-4
    - quality: 2

Compared to my Paul Smith Miller brogues, which were about a hundred buck more:
    - style: 5
    - comfort: 5
    - quality: 4 (the leather on one of the shoes is a bit granier than the other)

I would try another pair of TBNY but only at a discounted price. I figure I could have just got a lemon.

15. RWBreitling

RWBreitling Member

I own four pairs of TBNY. "Aiden" cap toes in black and walnut-ish brown, "Campbell" single strap monk in bourbon, and "Alex" tassel loafers in dark brown. All we're bought at significant discount at Bloomingdales or Nordstrom rack and Off Saks. All are Blake stitched. My Aidens are worn as a rain shoe due to the rubber sole. I find myself wearing the Alex tassel loafers more than my AE Randolph's. European look and slim and sleek compared to AEs. Not all styles are on par construction wise but the well made ones are great and all are Italian made. Most styles are a safe buy at 50% off at racks.

16. stylespec

stylespec Member

I recently acquired a pair of TBNY on the cheap (these ones http://www.zappos.com/to-boot-new-york-ross).
    I got them at the Rack for less than $50 after tax.
    I love the simple design and rubber sole construction (yes, rubber sole). I just don't wear boots even during winter, and so I prefer dress shoes with good water proofing for winter and spring.

The sole and seal on these shoes are impeccable. I have not worn them yet, but trying them on shows that they will be comfortable all day. The shoes are also light and flexible and will certainly make awesome daily beaters.