• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is this?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
So I tried my first attempt at polishing and it went pretty well, imho at least. But I noticed that on one of the shoes there seems to be a spot which seems "bleached", I suspect it is the dye that has come off . . . .

Does anyone know what this is? What do I do to restore it?

IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9217.jpg

IMG_9216.jpg

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
This happened while you were polishing?

Never have experienced this before. Is it possible some kind of solvent dripped onto the toe?

I think/suppose so; it was not there before. Nothing other than the regular shoe shine products were near the shoe, although I did seem to recall some guy pouring some beer onto my shoes, though I had wiped it off immediately. Could this be it, although I hadn't seent that spot before polishing?

This is what I did to polish . . .

I wiped the shoes down with a damp cloth. Then worked in Kiwi shoe lotion and let the shoes dry near an open window (it is was pretty cold outside) for about 15mins. Put on some kiwi wax polish, thin layer, letting it haze over and put the shoe near the window for about 10 min. Started to work on the shoe with water/wax polish. Several thin layers. Did get a good, really glassy, non greasy shine, but don't know what happened to that spot.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
I did seem to recall some guy pouring some beer onto my shoes,

you need to learn to fight better.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
I forgot to mention that although the spot looks like it has a different texture, it doesn't; I ran my finger over it and the whole toe area has the same texture . . .

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me last December when polishing a pair of Ferragamos with the polish/damp cloth/polish method. My spot was not so light and was on the outer heal of the shoe. It also never got as smooth as the rest of the shoe. The spot vanished with subsequent polishings, much to my relief. They are some of my favorite "go to" shoes and, although they are just the mid-range SF shoes, I would have hated to damage them as such. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I caused the problem. I polished the rest of both shoes the same way, with the same amounts of polish and water and the problem only manifested in a nickel sized spot on heel of the left shoe.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that although the spot looks like it has a different texture, it doesn't; I ran my finger over it and the whole toe area has the same texture . . .

You posted this while I was writing, my mystery spot had a decidely different texture in comparison to the rest of the shoe in question and the mate that underwent the same treatment. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has ever encountered shoe-shining incongruencies or deviations from the norm.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hossoso
Same thing happened to me last December when polishing a pair of Ferragamos with the polish/damp cloth/polish method. My spot was not so light and was on the outer heal of the shoe. It also never got as smooth as the rest of the shoe. The spot vanished with subsequent polishings, much to my relief. They are some of my favorite "go to" shoes and, although they are just the mid-range SF shoes, I would have hated to damage them as such. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I caused the problem. I polished the rest of both shoes the same way, with the same amounts of polish and water and the problem only manifested in a nickel sized spot on heel of the left shoe.

Seems like the same issue. Did you polish subsequently the same way? Were you using only wax or cream and then wax?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score

Just adding, this spot is about the size of a quarter.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Seems like the same issue. Did you polish subsequently the same way? Were you using only wax or cream and then wax?

I have not used the same method on them again. I obviously screwed up somehow, but I don't know what I did. The shoes are not my finest but they are my mainstays and I don't want to ruin them. I was using the wax, little water,wax. Essentially I was trying to follow the "mirror shine" recipe that you will find on the StyleForumWiki, a sticky on this section of SF. There have only been two polishes after the incident because the wet weather here in Seattle has prohibited me from wearing any shoes that I want to keep. Subsequent polishes have been simple Nordstrom brand shoe polish applications/wipe/buff. I am no expert polisher and have only recently (in the last year or so) started doing it myself as I would never get the mirror shine that I see featured in pictures here from the polishers at Nordstrom.

edit: to be entirely honest, I don't think I can help you. I made a similar mistake that sounds worse than yours, the discoloration wasn't as severe but the texture was and i thought I had really damaged the leather. Luckily, I am quite sure that you will be able to remedy the spot on your shoe quickly and easily. I hope someone will provide you with great advice and I hope I can learn from it!

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
edit: to be entirely honest, I don't think I can help you. I made a similar mistake that sounds worse than yours, the discoloration wasn't as severe but the texture was and i thought I had really damaged the leather. Luckily, I am quite sure that you will be able to remedy the spot on your shoe quickly and easily. I hope someone will provide you with great advice and I hope I can learn from it!

+1. Hoping that some of the shoe mavens can post something here. My understanidng is that most guys do their own polishing and if the polishing technique has been stickied (same method I used, excepting the shoe cream) then a lot of people are using it.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with a pair of EGs. I too was using wax and water to achieve a mirror shine. I assumed that I applied too much pressure and removed the finish while doing so.

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago with a pair of EGs. I too was using wax and water to achieve a mirror shine. I assumed that I applied too much pressure and removed the finish while doing so.

EGs? That must be painful. So did it go away with subsequent polishing? If so, what did you do?

I was applying the same pressure everywhere and of course tappering the pressure each subsequent coat. Need . . . to . . . know . . . what . . . I . . . could . . . have . . . done . . . wrong . . .
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads