• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is This Button Down Shirt Collar Style Called?

Hey Man

Reaction score
In the movies Heat and Collateral - both De Niro and Cruise are wearing white button down shirts with a collar that seems to almost be a turtle neck and is raised past the neck of the jacket. Here are some pics of De Niro to show you what I mean.

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/.../gal352/16.php

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/.../gal352/18.php

http://www.movieweb.com/movies/film/.../gal352/07.php

What is this collar style called, so that I can ask for it by name when shopping in a suit store.

Thanks

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't take much effort to find better photos than that. Are these what you're talking about:
collateral-1.JPG
collateral1.jpg
180px-Heat001.jpg
hetDNAB.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
I don't know if this sort of collar has a specific name. It looks like the kind of long-pointed bd favored by many Neapolitan shirtmakers. Design-wise, it's an exercise in taking the traditional utilitarian bd collar and making it the whole point of the shirt; as such, it runs the risk of looking out of proportiion. I personally find the look rather affected (unless it is exceptionally well done). immsmc, De Niro and Keitel sported something like the antecedent to these collars way back in Mean Streets.

Hey Man

Reaction score
Jared,

While I appreciate you finding better photos - the ones I did provide clearly convey what I am talking about. Now can you find the shirt style?

pejsek

Reaction score
Take a look at the Barba, Borrelli, and Sartoria Napoletana shirts over on Yoox. Just be sure to use the SF link at the top of the page.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
None of the De Niro or Cruise photos appear to be of a BD collar shirt. Looks to me like a moderate spread collar cut with a tall stand/leaf.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
None of the De Niro or Cruise photos appear to be of a BD collar shirt. Looks to me like a moderate spread collar cut with a tall stand/leaf.
I thought that too....I guess button down means the front of the shirt.

pkincy

Reaction score
I own a couple of these. It is simply a moderately long point collar with an abnormally tall neck.

Mine are made in Italy for a shop here in Az. A bit expensive given the quality but look good as an open collar under an odd jacket.

Perry

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads