What Is the Worst Thing You Ever Saw a Sartorial Hero Do?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 29, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

or for others, joo squared.

paging mr spoo swap.
    ----

manton, that really wide, multi colored, stripe tie you posted once, yeah, that might belong here. sorry, mang. :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

The shirt (you write) has a white background, but it's not the same intensity (stark) white as the square. Looks like a grayed (soft) white.

The "summery blue" is not a true blue (balance of black, white, blue, and yellow), but instead looks grayed (too much black more than white ) - a grayed navy.

[​IMG]

Yea, but one with olive skin and high contrast eyes and hair and tee-- (wait, didn't J recently put a kibosh on teeth comments? I better not go there . . . :))

So bold, intense, true, high contrast colors looks better on you, IMO.

Now it the tie was a more "summery" tie and the square was a softer white, the outfit would all go together - but still not with you.

- M

The picture is not worthy of sartorial hero sadness, but just WAYWT fodder . . .

3. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Astaire is my sartorial hero nonpareil, and the two examples cited as missteps don’t bother me at all. As for the collar pin/button down combo, I’m of the anti-coco school--before leaving home, look in the mirror and put one more thing on. The notch lapel dinner jacket is from a period beginning in the 1960s when Astaire was apparently trying to modernize his look, and the wide, notch lapels on his dinner jacket worn in 1981 were all the rage then. By then he had been wearing plain front trousers and and a trimmer cut overall for some time without ever losing his innate elegance:

[​IMG][​IMG]

The only time I am ever taken slightly aback by Fred’s attire is when I view the scene in Daddy Long Legs in which he sports a bow tie tied so wide that, if the wind caught it and made it twirl, he would take off like a helicopter:

[​IMG]

This, however, would make me cry if I thought it were anything other than a costume:

[​IMG]

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

that bow tie looks OK to me. I am more offended by the matchy-matchyness with the square.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

That's how wide a bow tie should be.

6. RJE

RJE Senior member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  7. mafoofan

Nothing is worse than a skimpy, sheepish bow tie. If you don't feel brave enough to wear one with a little jauntiness to it, you shouldn't wear one at all--it's a bow tie.

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is a great thread.
    I think I will nominate the striped blazer with black piping. I don't know how to find a pic, but someone can find it, I am sure.
    Astaire, like the DoW, represents a rich vein for this sort of thing. He really knew what he was doing, but he changed his style a bit over time and he also experimented, so you are bound to find some clinkers in the otherwise stellar inventory.

9. Butler

Butler Senior member

A bow tie should be the same width as your eyes - period! :bigstar:

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

These are not really sartorial heroes but Apparel Arts was ia major nspiration. The worst things I ever saw in Apparel Arts were the Saalburg drawing of a man in a dinner jacket with brass buttons and drawing of a man wearing patent leather half brogues with white tie.

11. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

You guys are obsessing too much over bow-tie width. While I think moderate is always a good rule, bow-tie width has ever been at the whim of fashion. (Also, except at the extremes, no one cares.)

12. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

Until about an hour or so ago, that square, with the navy border, was bulging charmingly from my jacket pocket.

To the original question: just about anything worn by Edward Windsor (aka the Duke of Used to be the Prince of Wales Then Was The King Then Wasn't Because of That Woman and liked the Nazis) after around 1923.

13. mafoofan

Eh. I really hate it when the bow tie's outside edges don't reach the collar points (assuming a turn-down collar). It's a non-negotiable point to me. Vox agreed. Except, he said it differently, and my way of saying it was more correct than his.

14. RJE

RJE Senior member

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  15. Artking3

Artking3 Senior member

What is wrong with that? Did you expect him to be in white tie?