• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Is The Worst Christmas Gift You Ever Received?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
dude after eights are awesome. this is the WORST gifts thread, not the "i'm an ungrateful dickwad with no taste" thread.

artoftime

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kajak
And now you're on styleforvm, hunting in thrift stores for old full canvassed suits.
teacha.gif

Sig worthy

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
My wife had a friend who gave her a scented candle a few years back.

She brought it home, inspected it a little more closely and, yep, the wick had been lit at least once before.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
We do a Secret Sants gift exchange here at work, which can get a tad hairy because, as a manufacturing firm, we have people from all different slices of the socio-economic ladder - unskilled labor, admin, accounting, engineers, salespeople, and business executives.

One year, one of our production guys, an older fella who lived in a trailer, drew my name. I think he wanted to get me something sort of "classy" for a young, (then) single guy, but couldn't afford much. He got me this awful boxed set, probably from the cheap department store - it contained an awful poly tie, a really flimsy tie chain clasp thing, and a bottle of cheap cologne. I didn't even know how to re-gift it or even what to do with it. I could see he was excited to give it to me so I felt terrible, some months later, when I just decided to toss it.

i think that was sweet of him though. thinking about what you would have liked.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i think that was sweet of him though. thinking about what you would have liked.

Seriously. Speaking of "ungrateful dickwad".

Saltricks

Reaction score
Haha, this reminds me of one of my many great and wonderful family stories that I regale people with when we have nothing better to talk about...

I was a young child, maybe 10 or 11, but I remember it was a birthday party for either a distant relative or a family friend. The birthday boy was about my age, and I was standing right next to him when he opened my mothers present. He tore open the shiny wrapping, hoping for a power rangers toy, or something like that. Instead, he was greeted with a brand new...

box of garbage bags, which looked like it had been opened. After a few confused looks the boy began to cry, but my mother said that present was inside the garbage bag box, it wasn't the actual gift. A look of relief washed upon his face and he reached inside and pulled out...

a giant sized pair of underwear. Woman's underwear.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Worst gift I ever receieved was a pink fuzzy sweater size XS (I'm a built guy, 44 inch chest) by my grandmother, who has severe cataracts and is suffering from some sort of dementia. Apparently she thinks I'm a 10 year old girl, so she made me try it on and wouldn't take no for an answer. My arms looked like sausages in the sleeves, and the buttons looked like they would fly off. Good thing she went to bed early, because later that night I was wrestling with my cousins and my shirt exploded off my back like an asian condom at a BBC party.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
Haha, this reminds me of one of my many great and wonderful family stories that I regale people with when we have nothing better to talk about...

I was a young child, maybe 10 or 11, but I remember it was a birthday party for either a distant relative or a family friend. The birthday boy was about my age, and I was standing right next to him when he opened my mothers present. He tore open the shiny wrapping, hoping for a power rangers toy, or something like that. Instead, he was greeted with a brand new...

box of garbage bags, which looked like it had been opened. After a few confused looks the boy began to cry, but my mother said that present was inside the garbage bag box, it wasn't the actual gift. A look of relief washed upon his face and he reached inside and pulled out...

Worst gift I ever receieved was a pink fuzzy sweater size XS (I'm a built guy, 44 inch chest) by my grandmother, who has severe cataracts and is suffering from some sort of dementia. Apparently she thinks I'm a 10 year old girl, so she made me try it on and wouldn't take no for an answer. My arms looked like sausages in the sleeves, and the buttons looked like they would fly off. Good thing she went to bed early, because later that night I was wrestling with my cousins and my shirt exploded off my back like an asian condom at a BBC party.

LOL. Great post.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks

lol8[1].gif
You and your stories...

Wackadoodle

Reaction score

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When i was 7 and my brother was 9 our grandparents gave us extremely cheap gold plated pocket watches from walmart. Still had the $2.99 sticker on the boxes. I think it was a play on grandfather handing down the vintage pocket watch that his grandfather gave him as a boy etc.. but it was just really tacky and lame. My mom gave me this as a stocking stuffer this year:
colgate-wisp.jpg
Because she, "thought it was useful"

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot

My mom gave me this as a stocking stuffer this year:
colgate-wisp.jpg

Because she, "thought it was useful"

I gave those to my whole family as stocking stuffers. They're great to keep in the car.

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
I really haven't received that many "bad" ones, though the year my father bought me a blaze orange hunting license holder stood out as odd...given that I'm a vegetarian. He said it was in case I "changed my mind."

I always appreciate someone thinking of me, even if the gift wasn't 100% to my taste.

MrGoodBytes

Reaction score
for my 30th bday last year, my grandmother gave me a couple of Sacagawea dollar coins... They were suppose to be 185X uncirculated double eagles that were part of my inheritance. My grandmother has been totally blind for many years, so sigh, god knows what may have happened to them.

Worst part about it, I never got a substitution gift later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads