1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the toughest leather?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HitMan009, Sep 4, 2008.

1. HitMan009

HitMan009 Senior member

I was having a debate of what is the toughest leather known to man....

I thought it was stingray but I understand there is another leather made from a fish that is even tougher then stingray but I have no idea what fish that would be.

I know that ostrich, elephant, kangaroo and deer are also very tough but I am trying to find out what is the toughest leather Period!....

Thanks.

2. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't know the answer, but in the olden days, samurai sword hilts were covered in shark skin because of its toughness (IIRC).

Amongst more common leathers, it seems like wild boar is pretty tough; I've had some bags made from Chinghiale (a type of wild boar) that could make it through hell and back and still be in good shape.

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

4. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

I don't know the answer, but in the olden days, samurai sword hilts were covered in shark skin because of its toughness (IIRC).

Ray skin, not shark skin. And they still are.

5. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chuck Norris.

Ew.

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

Yeah, I think ray skin is extremely abrasion-proof. It's evolved to resist the sandy bottoms that they glide over.

7. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ray skin, not shark skin. And they still are.
    ...I knew it was one of the deadly fishes; thanks for the correction! Edit; I think I know my mistake, now... my friend's father in Japan has a very old sword and mentioned it was made from "鮫革”, (same-gawa), which "same" I always took to be shark. But, I think "same" can also maybe be used for stingray? Anyway, I never talk about fish I don't eat in Japanese, so any fish-vocabulary Japanese experts can correct me on this. I'm sort of curious...

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

9. jefferson

jefferson Well-Known Member

Chuck Norris.

[​IMG]

beat me to it

10. binge

binge Senior member

11. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

there are different ways to measure "tough", I doubt the same leather could OWNZ all

abrasion, flexion, tensile strength, cut-resistance, etc. also, strength/weight ratio is a consideration.

what about bull hide, buffalo hide, elephant hide? Rhino hide?

12. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

there are different ways to measure "tough", I doubt the same leather could OWNZ all

abrasion, flexion, tensile strength, cut-resistance, etc. also, strength/weight ratio is a consideration.

what about bull hide, buffalo hide, elephant hide? Rhino hide?

Exactly. Depends what you're looking for.

Top level motorcycle riders use kangaroo hide on their suits because it's lighter then cow but offers better abrasion and burst resistance. On the most sensitive areas that often get the worst damage in a fall, such as the hands they also use stingray as it offers a greater protection.

13. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I think that ray skin was chosen because of the traction it gives, not because of the toughness.

hippo is pretty tough leather - they used to make sheilds out of it in etheopia, and they are about 100 times tougher than a cow leather shield.

14. Reborn

Reborn Senior member

I think that ray skin was chosen because of the traction it gives, not because of the toughness.

hippo is pretty tough leather - they used to make sheilds out of it in etheopia, and they are about 100 times tougher than a cow leather shield.

Probably for the swords but not the motorcycle gloves.

I had an older .pdf from Held gloves I think, that listed the different properties of various leathers with their abrasion resistance etc. Of the ones listed ray skin was by far the best performer.

As far as hippo and the others I assume they are also fairly thick?

15. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Probably for the swords but not the motorcycle gloves.

I had an older .pdf from Held gloves I think, that listed the different properties of various leathers with their abrasion resistance etc. Of the ones listed ray skin was by far the best performer.

good point, you are probrably right. by mm ray may be stronger than a thicker skin like hippo, I don't know

As far as hippo and the others I assume they are also fairly thick?[/quote]

yeah, a really, really dried piece of skin in a shield is probrably over an inch thick. fresh, pliable skin may be twice that.

16. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

17. KhalidAZ

KhalidAZ Member

Why not get some rawhide and boil it, preferably in oil?

You will make HARDENED leather - similar to the armours of mideval times.

THAT is pretty dog gone TOUGH!