• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the Single Best Upper Body Exercise?

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's definitely the dumbbell bench press.
Nothing engages as much of your upper body, and you'll see upper-body mass gains quicker than with any other exercise.

But, as others have said, you have to work every part of your body to get maximal results. You simply can't look 'big' with one exercise.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I wanted to build some muscle on my arms and chest without going to the gym, doing pushups and pullups would be best?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've gotten some pretty good results doing pushups, chin ups and pull ups, dips and a combo of jump squats and wall squats.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've been inspired to start working out for the first time ever (I'm 21). I never realized that it could be as easy as just doing pullups and pushups.

This Pullup Bar from Amazon seems like exactly what I need, any thoughts?

bryce126

Reaction score
this is an impossible question to answer...

Upper body is split into at least three distinct muscle groups, if not more. and to name one single exercise that covers them all is impossible. The closest I can think of is something gymnastics-related. But here's my top exercises for their related upper-body muscle groups. I'm a world record holder in the deadlift for the WPA organization, so at least hear me out.

Back: Deadlift or Pullups
Chest: Dumbbell Press
Shoulders: Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Triceps: Dips, weighted
Biceps: Dumbbell Curls/Hammer Curls

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bryce126
this is an impossible question to answer...

Upper body is split into at least three distinct muscle groups, if not more. and to name one single exercise that covers them all is impossible. The closest I can think of is something gymnastics-related. But here's my top exercises for their related upper-body muscle groups. I'm a world record holder in the deadlift for the WPA organization, so at least hear me out.

Back: Deadlift or Pullups
Chest: Dumbbell Press
Shoulders: Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Triceps: Dips, weighted
Biceps: Dumbbell Curls/Hammer Curls

Muscle-ups, if you can do them. What's your record/weight class?

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For anyone interested, I found a great blog post on what the author calls the "Holy Trinity of Fitness" It's comprised of pullups, pushups, and situps. http://www.schaefersblog.com/the-hol...ty-of-fitness/ This is great for someone like me just starting out and looking for simple but effective exercises to do.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Liquidus
This is great for someone like me who has convinced themselves that they need to "start out" with pushups and pullups and not lift weights to gain size.

Don't get me wrong, I love pushups and pullups, but you should lift weights if you want to "build some muscle on my arms and chest".

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Don't get me wrong, I love pushups and pullups, but you should lift weights if you want to "build some muscle on my arms and chest".

Are you saying that pushups and pullups are ineffective? I'm not trying to get huge muscles, just looking like I have muscles would be good.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that pushups and pullups are ineffective? I'm not trying to get huge muscles, just looking like I have muscles would be good.
I wouldn't say they are ineffective, rather they are inefficient compared to actually lifting weights. You'd probably have to spend 2-5 times as much time doing pushups and pullups to get the same results you'd get from weight training.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's most likely pretty accurate, but wide-grip push-ups and pulls-ups will get you well on your way. I like them because I can do them at the end of the day without any equipment other than a pull-up bar.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You won't really get that far just doing pull ups and push ups. I did it for a while, I got a bit stronger and had a little more muscle, but its no substitute for the gym. You aren't hitting your shoulders that much and your not doing your lower back and legs at all. Theres no reason to "start out" with that when you can just join the gym, its not like there is some minimum required level of fitness to go to the gym. You can bench, over head press and deadlift at any level of fitness unless you can't lift a 45lb bar, but I can't imagine anyone cant do that.

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
You won't really get that far just doing pull ups and push ups. I did it for a while, I got a bit stronger and had a little more muscle, but its no substitute for the gym. You aren't hitting your shoulders that much and your not doing your lower back and legs at all. Theres no reason to "start out" with that when you can just join the gym, its not like there is some minimum required level of fitness to go to the gym. You can bench, over head press and deadlift at any level of fitness unless you can't lift a 45lb bar, but I can't imagine anyone cant do that.
Especially when their body weight is >45lbs. Ever since getting serious about my health and exercise I can't help but to
facepalm.gif
baldy[1].gif
when I read people looking for an easy way out. "I don't want to go to the gym and lift heavy things...I just want to magically put on muscle"
ffffuuuu.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

butbut.gif
baldy[1].gif
cry.gif
butbut.gif
baldy[1].gif
cry.gif
butbut.gif
baldy[1].gif
cry.gif
snork[1].gif

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose if you did weighted push ups and did like 5-10 reps it would be alright, but its not like you see people doing 100 reps on the bench press, why would you do such high reps on push ups or even pull ups. You're right theres no easy way out, doing 5 sets of 30 push ups, some pull ups, tonnes of **** ab work and eating clean isn't gonna make you put on any visible muscle. Going to the gym 3-6 times a week, training hard and eating tonnes will make you put on visible muscle. You can't look like you have muscle without having muscle unless you get plastic surgery, thats marsupialed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads