• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the SF approved response to this?

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been asked questions like that. I usually say something like, "I have some of those, but these are (insert brand)." That way, you don't insult a brand he obviously thinks is nice, and you tell him about a new brand he may have not heard of.

Mike

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
"Nah, Crocket & Jones, it's an English company" and leave it at that unless he asks more. Trust me, I learned the hard way about talking clothes shoes with people who don't share my affinity for the subject. Makes one come off as pretentious, elitist or just plain oblivious to others' interests. And while we may be each and every one of those things, no need to broadcast it
wink.gif

+10
Originally Posted by MBreinin
I've been asked questions like that. I usually say something like, "I have some of those, but these are (insert brand)." That way, you don't insult a brand he obviously thinks is nice, and you tell him about a new brand he may have not heard of. Mike
+20 This is the sort of little white lie that always works pretty well and avoids snobbery or condescention.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The majority of the population never heard of C&J, Vass, Lobb, etc...like a posted stated earlier.
And even more would cringe at the thought of spending more than $100 on a pair of shoes.
I get asked this often at work, where kenneth coles are considered the epitome of high end shoes.
I just say they are "brand X"...if I get a puzzled look, i just say most ppl probably aren't familiar with them. They are made in "country of origin" and leave it at that.
Some will dig deeper and ask how much do they run...and I tell them and 99% of the time I get a gasp.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Some will dig deeper and ask how much do they run...and I tell them and 99% of the time I get a gasp.

Yes, when the conversation goes that far (very infrequently), I say "BTW, they are over X years old". Gives it a bit of context. I used to wear shoes out in 6 months to a year.

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Yes, when the conversation goes that far (very infrequently), I say "BTW, they are over X years old". Gives it a bit of context. I used to wear shoes out in 6 months to a year.

Yep. And from these convos, it's led to why I spend so much more than the average person on shoes, talk about the construction, etc...and as long as I dont come across as condensing, ppl aer very receptive.
I've led more than a few ppl at work from wearing squared toed kenneth coles to AEs, Aldens, and varios english brands.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff
So I'm wearing my new favorite shoes - C&J handgrade medium brown captoes, and a colleague says: "Hey, nice shoes, what are those, Bostonians?" What would be the proper response?
"Yeah, they kind of look like it, but I got them in England."

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dshin
Yep. And from these convos, it's led to why I spend so much more than the average person on shoes, talk about the construction, etc...and as long as I dont come across as condensing, ppl aer very receptive. I've led more than a few ppl at work from wearing squared toed kenneth coles to AEs, Aldens, and varios english brands.
Yep, I supervise 25 lawyers who are mostly quite young and appear in court quite frequently. I try to steer them away from the square-toed loafers and bicycle toe shoes they usually arrive in when they join my unit. When asked, I generally recommend round-toed lace-ups, usually AE, which we get the 25% corporate discount for at the JAB down the street. I've sold so many of these, I should get a commission.
laugh.gif
We are as snarky a bunch as SF, and the other day one of my better dressed guys came charging in my office followed by 3 of his co-workers hectoring him about his new Chelsea boots and how they were inappropriate to wear with suits. He asked, in his Southern drawl, "Are these okay for suits?", I said sure, he left vindicated, and his co-workers slunk after him. These poor guys pay way too much attention to me.
bigstar[1].gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelesStyle
"Nah, Crocket & Jones, it's an English company" and leave it at that unless he asks more. Trust me, I learned the hard way about talking clothes shoes with people who don't share my affinity for the subject. Makes one come off as pretentious, elitist or just plain oblivious to others' interests. And while we may be each and every one of those things, no need to broadcast it
wink.gif

Good response. +1

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Yep, I supervise 25 lawyers who are mostly quite young and appear in court quite frequently. I try to steer them away from the square-toed loafers and bicycle toe shoes they usually arrive in when they join my unit. When asked, I generally recommend round-toed lace-ups, usually AE, which we get the 25% corporate discount for at the JAB down the street. I've sold so many of these, I should get a commission.
laugh.gif

We are as snarky a bunch as SF, and the other day one of my better dressed guys came charging in my office followed by 3 of his co-workers hectoring him about his new Chelsea boots and how they were inappropriate to wear with suits. He asked, in his Southern drawl, "Are these okay for suits?", I said sure, he left vindicated, and his co-workers slunk after him.
These poor guys pay way too much attention to me.
bigstar[1].gif

Well done! This explains why all of the older lawyers that walk into where I work all wear Aldens in cordovan.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Oh these? I am not sure, maybe."

ktrp

Reaction score
Factual questions can generally get factual answers.

They asked the brand, you tell them.

They ask what it costs, you tell them about checking B&S like you're playing a slot machine.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but these are Crockett and Jones.

The guy really like your shoes. In his limited knowledge of shoes, Bostonian is a very good shoe.
Since your shoes look nice, they must be Bostonian. Keep in mind this was a sincere compilment and respond accordingly. You can bet your last dollar, he will google "Crockett and Jones shoes" and see the retail price. That's when the fun begins!!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr monty
Thanks, but these are Crockett and Jones.

The guy really like your shoes. In his limited knowledge of shoes, Bostonian is a very good shoe.
Since your shoes look nice, they must be Bostonian. Keep in mind this was a sincere compilment and respond accordingly. You can bet your last dollar, he will google "Crockett and Jones shoes" and see the retail price. That's when the fun begins!!

agreed forcing too much info on someone never works let him find out himself with a little info from you

raphaelargus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cbbuff
So I'm wearing my new favorite shoes - C&J handgrade medium brown captoes, and a colleague says:

"Hey, nice shoes, what are those, Bostonians?"

Said sarcastically?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads