• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the right word to describe this kind of coat / jacket?

pingguo

Reaction score
I´m wondering what´s the best word to describe this kind of coat / jacket.
Some specialized clothing shops categorize garments using different terms. Why?

________Coats & Jackets> Outerwear>____________
-Blazers (I think no, right?)
-Down Jackets?
-Sportcoat? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_coat
-Mid-length jacket?
-Three-quarter length coat?

What is the most accurate term to describe this items? The most common? Do Americans and English use the same word?
What makes this style different from others kind of jackets..., unique characteristics?

Here are some of the jackets / coats I´m talking about, plase take a look before answering. Thanks.

https://docs.google.com/document/pub...cGvYPbci9UudmQ

Please be patient, there are several examples so it might take a bit to load all of them.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Desparate?

i.e. a desperate attempt by fashion designers to foist some kind of new 'must have' upon the public by creating a bunch of ugly hybrids. If you like them why worry what they are called, knock yourself out but I don't see anything there that I like.

pingguo

Reaction score
because I need to translate the word to another language, so I need to know the most accurate term available to describe those items.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hybrids?

They all seem to be pulling in style details and lengths from two or more different established coat styles to result in some kind of hodge podge hybrid. I doubt they've been around long enough to have an established nomenclature.

pingguo

Reaction score
haha, I like hybrids, they are not too long, innovative and some quite stylish.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, but it's too trendy for my taste. Not something i'd ever wear.

kohelet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
Hybrids?

They all seem to be pulling in style details and lengths from two or more different established coat styles to result in some kind of hodge podge hybrid. I doubt they've been around long enough to have an established nomenclature.

Agreed. Hybrid / "Bag of tricks ":-D

again love the coat but only on a young fit guy that has that confidence to pull of a classic mixed with modern.

HighWater

Reaction score
Unsightly

If you must, translate them as fashion-forward wool outerwear designed for the cast members of Jersey Shore. I say outerwear because, remember, a pea coat was once called a pea jacket (by Tom Wolfe, no less). The minutiae involved in the difference between a jacket and coat only applies to the English language and trying to translate the difference(s) would only create more work for you.

HW

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pingguo
hi, what is a pea-bomb? I have no clue.

It is what a saginaw is to a mackinaw... Fashion forward!

so pea-bomb is a pea coat that is a forward style soon to replace your father's pea coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads