• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is the right way to drink an espresso ?

jhao

Reaction score
Do you have to smell it first?, take little sips and then a big gulp?, do you shake it so the flavors mix? do you drink water before of after??. Just explain your procedure at drinking espresso, I want to learn the right way.

Thanks.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhao
Do you have to smell it first?, take little sips and then a big gulp?, do you shake it so the flavors mix? do you drink water before of after??. Just explain your procedure at drinking espresso, I want to learn the right way.

Thanks.

Shake it??? WHAT?

Of course you smell it, most of your taste sensation is actually smell. You can drink water if you want to, but there's no requirement. Just sip it. It's easy. You're looking for medium color on the crema, not too light, not too dark, doesn't dissipate quickly. Not overly sour or bitter on the tongue, not salty or moldy. A good espresso should be sweet, but not cloying; should be on the thicker side, not thin.
Easy peasy.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look (appreciate), smell (anticipate), sip (enjoy).

Take your time but drink while it is still warm+ (do not drink while too hot or else the flavors are muted, but do not let it cool too much).

I disfavor the "gulp," lest the espresso itself be unsuited for sipping.

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like to roll the espresso in the mouth to appreciate flavors on the tongue and mouthfeel.

This presumes, of course, you're drinking a well pulled shot of freshly and properly roasted and ground beans. Pointers by redgrail suggest as much.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at the same time, you drink it relatively quickly. It is a small amount of coffee and it will cool very fast. Unless you like cool espresso.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
at the same time, you drink it relatively quickly. It is a small amount of coffee and it will cool very fast. Unless you like cool espresso.

Yes. 3-4 sips is adequate. I get mine done in about a minute to two.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
usually in two sips or one depending on the espresso, normal two sips un ristretto 1 sip. usually if ones takes longer to drink it than it takes two prepare s they are at the bar longer than they should be..
really there is nto prper way to drink it, so anyway you like.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The small glass of water sometimes served is to be taken before the cafe, to cleanse the pallet.
I usually smell first to check if it's burnt through over-extraction. If no sugar is needed (and I find really well made coffee doesn't require it), I usually down in 2 or 3 gulps.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like to drink it from a champagne flute through a bendy straw. Once you go bendy straw, you never go back.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chase it with grappa

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I like to drink it from a champagne flute through a bendy straw. Once you go bendy straw, you never go back.
And all this time I'd been sipping it on the stomach of a hooker while using her **** as a funnel.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
With your ******* mouth.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augusto86
With your ******* mouth.

+1 It's a fuckin cup of coffee.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No lemon peel! 2 - 3 sips. Don't dawdle....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads