• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the right number of shoes for a well dressed man?

paxonus

Reaction score
I have a few pairs from Margiela, Kapital, and Lucchese, but realistically only ever really wear a black pair from Margiela and a brown pair from Kapital. Currently having Nicholas Templeman make me a black pair so I can replace the Margielas. This was the first pair, but they were a bit too sleek and narrow, so now they're being remade.

View attachment 1336712

If they turn out well, I'll probably order a brown pair as well.

FWIW, I don't think of them as being an essential shoe or anything. I find that, after having all these shoes and options, I just find I keep going back to the same ones that happen to work for me. I like side zips with my casualwear, but I wouldn't wear it with CM stuff.

Some of the proposed lists of shoes in this thread seem very logical and sensible to me -- have two pairs of oxfords shoes, two pairs of summer loafers, two pairs of winter boots, etc. But I think most guys just settle on something that's right for them and aren't so formulaic.
The Templeman is nice, but I agree with you on the shape. Then again, I'm 63 and can't pull off something too sleek without looking like I'm trying to fool everyone.

OysteinK

Reaction score
Three should suffice: (not accounting for sports/hiking)

1. A pair of versatile sneakers in suede. My choice is New Balance 574 in olive. Goes with everything, up to business casual.

2. Beaters for bad weather. You need these. Blundstones in brown/burgundy. Keeps you dry, comfortable, and don't look too bad. They are cheap so you don't have to worry about them.

3. A pair of brown or burgundy brouges. Oxfords if your wardrobe consists of tailored wollen pants, derbys if it consits of chinos/jeans. Works from business casual up to funerals (sort of, unless you are at a royal event). They can be black if you only wear them to very formal events, or you have lots of grey pants.

That being said, i have around 50 pairs of shoes, not counting sneakers, flipflops and other horribilites, and I use them all of the time. But you really only need the three above.

schraiber

Reaction score
I think that you can basically always look good with 5 pairs of shoes.

1) Cap toe Oxford. Probably black for maximum versatility but you can get away with dark brown or burgundy as your only one imo.
2) Versatile sneakers. This is pretty open, just whatever you'd wear with jeans or shorts or something. I'd probably lean minimalist white sneakers, but you there's just a ton of freedom here.
3) A more casual "dress shoe", like a loafer or a derby of some kind. Just something to wear with smart outfits that aren't suits, since you shouldn't wear an oxford with chinos ;-)
4) Boots or some such for inclement weather. Up to you whether you have these look marginally nice or you just go fully utility. Could probably split the difference with like an Iron Ranger esque shoe?
5) Another every day shoe, depending on whether you wear sneakers or dress shoes more. Just so you can rotate for the health of the shoes and to not look like a total minimalist capsule wardrobe snob

This is probably missing some things like a pair of sandals for when the need arises, or some shoes for the gym, but I think those are more personal and you might or might not actually need those.

Casaubon

Reaction score
Not sure whether I would be considered a well-dressed man by most veterans here, but at 6 pairs of shoes I seem to have a pair for every occasion. However, different people have different needs which depends on the climate, your style, others' expectations you'd like to meet (or surpass) etc. Personally, I would gladly get more, but closet space is limited and they are far from a necessity. Besides, I found out that my wife is not too sympathetic to my sartorial concerns (a plight of many here, as I can tell).

Anyway, this is what gets me through the year just fine:

1) Chocolate jump/combat boots in fall and winter (very casual);
2) Tan Chelsea boots (sleek and versatile, but the color limits them when it comes to conservative suits which, fortunately for me, I rarely have to wear);
3) Mid-brown suede desert boots (an all season style for me, really);
4) Black cap-toe derbies (worn only with suits, I'd rather have Oxfords but I got these from my dad who didn't wear them a lot, so I though it would be too wasteful to replace them when there is no actual need);
5) Brown derbies (business casual, occasionally with suits);
6) Tan Venetian loafers (very clean look, they could probably work with casual suits although I use them in a business casual mode or for dressier evenings).

Plus: Sneakers for walking the dog, going out with the kids etc, and a pair of Timberlands for more of the same in winter.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Catholic mother once told me she never had sex with any man except my father (I believed her). She also told me the pope never masturbated in his life (I didn't believe her). There is no right number for everyone.

I have a ridiculous collection of loafers made for me in Africa by local artisans which I almost never wear but would never sell or throw away. Also weird Iranian canvas slip-ons with wooden soles which I might wear once every summer. And John Lobb jodhpurs I might wear a few times a year...none of which I "need."

Buy what you like, see how it goes. Sounds like you have room in your wardrobe to experiment.

Last edited:

rjc149

Reaction score
I own 7 pairs of shoes.

2 black cap toe oxfords for work, so one gets a day to air out and breathe.
1 pair gym sneakers
1 pair casual/walking sneakers
1 pair chukkas
1 pair of leather engineer boots
1 pair hiking boots

I'd like a pair of brown derbies, but they would replace the chukkas.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so, I think a well dressed man should have a wide assortment of shoes, but if you were to say make a "minimum requirements" I'd say the following, excluding utilitarian shoes like snow boots.

1. A pair of black cap toed oxfords. - These work well with suits and can be used even in black tie situations.
2. Brown or burgundy oxfords, whether brogued or not. - Work with suits and sports coats.
3. More casual shoes, whether derbys, bluchers, or loafers, in brown or burgundy. - Work with sports coats and below very nicely, though some people wear them with suits, too, especially loafers.
4. A pair of chukka boots, chelsea boots, or dress boots. - Can be worn with sports coats, but work best more towards the casual end of things.

If you often have to wear suits or sport coats and woolen trousers, I'd suggest getting more than one of 1 and 2.

If you are more towards the business casual or casual spectrum, I'd say get more of 3 and 4.

Anything above and beyond this is not necessary, but a luxury or enjoyment, which you should indulge in as it is nice to wear nice shoes. It also helps keep the shoes in good condition by wearing them less.

You'll also want a few pairs of shoes that have rubber soles so as to avoid problems with rain and bad weather. Otherwise, I'd suggest leather soles for elegance and comfort. It might even be wise to have rubber soled shoes for all categories, just in case you say, have to go to a nice event at night and you want to wear black cap toes, and you have a pair of dainite cap toes just for that occassion so you don't have to worry about slipping or degrading the leather soles on slippery surfaces. You can also put a topy on the shoes in order to avoid this problem.

I disagree with the assessment that a "well dressed man" needs a pair of sneakers if he is not going very casual or is into sports. Very casual is already going out of the realm of "well dressed", and sports shoes are utilitarian consideration. Obviously, if you golf, get a pair of golf shoes, if you run, get a pair of running shoes, etc, but that goes without saying, in the same sense that obviously one should have a pair of snow shoes if you experience snow.

I say that very casual doesn't seem to be in the realm of "well dressed" as I am not sure if anyone is trying to be CM-style well dressed if you're wearing shorts or sweat pants.

TexasToast

Reaction score
For me I think a good amount would be 6 pairs. They have to include Black and Brown cap toe oxfords. I definitely need a pair of Monk Straps and a pair of suede shoes. I would add a pair of sneakers to go with the shoes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I say that very casual doesn't seem to be in the realm of "well dressed" as I am not sure if anyone is trying to be CM-style well dressed if you're wearing shorts or sweat pants.

A number of CM people wear shorts. Maomao, GDL, Vox, UrbanComp, GuidoWongolini, etc.

Solverson

Reaction score
1. Black oxfords
2. Brown Derby
3. Brown suede chukkas
4. Field boots
5. Black or brown chelsea boots

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of CM people wear shorts. Maomao, GDL, Vox, UrbanComp, GuidoWongolini, etc.

I am sure you can be a cm type person and wear shorts, but there aren't a lot of cm options when you go too casual.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I have in decreasing order of formality:

Black plain-toe Oxfords (black tie and suits)
Oxblood Cap Toe Oxfords (suits...maybe a sportcoat with a tie)
Black NST (since it's the same sleek, formal last as the plain toe oxfords and leather soles, I put it as more formal than the PTB)
Black PTB (chunkier last and rubber sole bumps this below the NST in my opinion)
An assortment of casual brown shoes (snuff suede derbies, walnut woven LWB and dark brown country grain penny loafers)
Winter Oxfords (waxed suede, storm welt and a half lug sole)

Add in three pairs of boots (AE CXL Pattons, C&J roughout suede Moltons and Dark Brown Scotch Grain Islays)

Eight shoes and three boots, and I think I can cover any base from jeans to black tie. Probably the only thing that I think I "need" is a pair of lug soled boots (all of mine are on Dainite). Anything else I buy this year will be "want" not "need."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads