• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the right inseam for a guy who is 5 ′ 10 ″ tall? In LVC '47 and LVC '54 STF

Braul

Reaction score
That's the question. L30, L32, L34?

In Levi's Vintage Clothing 1954 and Levi's Vintage Clothing 1947, Shrink to fit, Unwashed, Rigid or whatever we want to call it, I suppose it's the same thing.

Garrister

Reaction score
Height does not necessarily correspond to inseam. Measure your best pair of similar fitting pants or jeans and go with that as a first try.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy! Just subtract the right rise length from the right outseam. Works everytime.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you plan on ever rinsing or washing you will lose inseam

Braul

Reaction score
if you plan on ever rinsing or washing you will lose inseam

Exactly. The inseam will shrink 3 inches (at most), i.e., L34-L31.

I'm 5 ′ 10 ″, L31 will be too long for me?

Should I choose L32? L32-L29

Which one would you guys choose?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody here knows how long your legs are or whether you like to cuff your jeans. You need to know what inseam you want to end up with. That means measuring jeans you already own that have the correct length. Then add length to account for shrinkage. If you’re not sure, go longer—you can either hem or cuff after they shrink if they are a little long, but you can’t lengthen if they’re too short.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nobody here knows how long your legs are or whether you like to cuff your jeans. You need to know what inseam you want to end up with. That means measuring jeans you already own that have the correct length. Then add length to account for shrinkage. If you’re not sure, go longer—you can either hem or cuff after they shrink if they are a little long, but you can’t lengthen if they’re too short.

^
This.

Are you ordering online and can't try? Do you not have a tailor who can cut and attach an original hem?

Braul

Reaction score
I don't want to cut the jeans, I just want them to shrink to a certain size which allows me 2 things:

I would like to cuff the jeans on some occasions, for example when wearing a pair of Red Wing boots. But with a pair of sneakers I don't want to cuff the jeans.

Is it possible to find the right size for both cases?

To achieve this goal I don't know if a final size L31 (L34-3=L31) or L29 (L32-3=L29) would be better. L30 (L30-3=L27) I guess I should rule it out.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But everyone wears their jeans differently.

Asking online people what length your jeans should be is just crazy, in my opinion. Measure a well fitting pair and start there.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easy! Just subtract the right rise length from the right outseam. Works everytime.

LOL so this post was supposed to be totally sarcastic, but I guess I have a bit to work on.

Braul

Reaction score
Levi’s Vintage Clothing L34 (L31 after washing)

34-31.png

Levi’s Vintage Clothing L32 (L29 after washing)

32-29.png

That's me.

As I said,

I don't want to cut the jeans, I just want them to shrink to a certain size which allows me 2 things:

I would like to cuff the jeans on some occasions, for example when wearing a pair of Red Wing boots. But with a pair of sneakers I don't want to cuff the jeans.

With these results, which one do you think is better for what I want?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Levi’s Vintage Clothing L34 (L31 after washing)

34-31.png

Levi’s Vintage Clothing L32 (L29 after washing)

32-29.png

That's me.

As I said,

With these results, which one do you think is better for what I want?

Which pair do YOU like better?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads