• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is the quality of dormeuil?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dormeuil is offering very good quality fabrics...When i went to Timothy Everest in London ,they told me they use them all the time...

You will be surprised how many tailors are using them ......

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Dormeuil is offering very good quality fabrics...When i went to Timothy Everest in London ,they told me they use them all the time...

You will be surprised how many tailors are using them ......

I can get a Dormeuil suit custom-made for $1,000. I have not looked at the fabric, but how are their fabrics in general? Is that a good deal?

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love Dormeuil. Some of it is flash but remember they are used a lot for Parisian ladies couture as well as an international mens clientele. Smiths and Lesser are not luxury cloths. They get pushed by tailors to achieve good margins. Sorry but it's true. Think about it you know it makes sense.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
I can get a Dormeuil suit custom-made for $1,000. I have not looked at the fabric, but how are their fabrics in general? Is that a good deal?

Where? Some Dormeuil cloths will cost more than that for the cloth alone.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
As someone else said in this thread, they make some of the best suit fabrics. Period.
Some Dormeuil's nicer items are in the luxury end of the cloth spectrum. They are very good at cashmeres and formal cloths which seem delicate but are more durable than one would suspect. The finish on Dormeuil suit cloth is often very current looking. They make a lot of luxury, super numbers with different colors and patterns because their clientele is very international. Like Scabal, they weave their own cloths and have their own outlet for remnant cloths so they can experiment a lot more than Smiths and Lesser can. Most of the major cloth merchants carry very good quality goods, with the occasional quality or pattern clunker fabric that usually ends up in their "archives". Patterns and fabrics are a matter of taste and some are better for one purpose than another. I would hesitate to condemn a fabric outright because I dont like it, I usually try to figure out objectivley what uses it has before I come to a conclusion. If it's still not for me or I dont feel like spending the money for something with a limited use, I can pass over it without needing to put a stigma on it. Different types of people buy different types of suits for a host of purposes and we cant say that there is a universal standard that others always have to live by. However, there is a standard that we can fail ourselves on.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
If it's still not for me or I dont feel like spending the money for something with a limited use, I can pass over it without needing to put a stigma on it.

Last-Supper.jpg

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good and expensive. Lots of it is quite distinctive, and at times somewhat flashy (e.g. some silk blends with a pronounced sheen).

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Different types of people buy different types of suits for a host of purposes and we cant say that there is a universal standard that others always have to live by. However, there is a standard that we can fail ourselves on.

You write posts like old people ****.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

Sounds like an awesome deal.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Where? Some Dormeuil cloths will cost more than that for the cloth alone.

It's with my local tailor in Atlanta. The fabric will be Dormeuil and the suit(s) will be made by their tailor in Hong Kong. I did look at their cloths. They are pretty good (lightweight 120s virgin year-round wool).

Hopefully their tailoring and finishing will be good!

jon5986

Reaction score
I like dormeuil. I like the feel, quality and patterns they make. I think it's worth the extra $$

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ignore the nattering nabobs of negativism- Dormueil has very nice stuff- neat colors/patterns and very good quality. Remember, not everyone wants to look like a mortician.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads