what is the quality of dormeuil?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by scarphe, Jul 27, 2007.

1. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I have never used there fabric before for suits and would like to know how it stands in respect to other producers and is it worth the added cost?
    Normally a suit cost 525 usd but using Dormeul super 120s tropical they are asking 725 usd for a bespoke suit.
    Another thing to connsider is that I am not particular about suits, so if Dormeuil is not worth the 200 usd i would rather spend it on shoes.

thanks

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Some of it is very good; all of it is very expensive. You can find comparable or better quality for less. Whether the merchant you want to use carries that is another matter. Also, Dormeuil does a lot of unique designs, so if you have your heart set on one in particular, you probably have no choice but to pay their price.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have a couple of suits using material from their Royal 12 book (12oz, S120, quite jazzy patterns generally) which seems to wear very well so far. But that's a pretty small sample size to draw any firm conclusions from.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have an irrational prejudice against Dormeuil and consider it flashy, tacky stuff. Same with Scabal. I think that even when I am looking at a piece of solid navy worsted. Since I can't offer you any real basis for my opinion, you should ignore it.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I have an irrational prejudice against Dormeuil and consider it flashy, tacky stuff. Same with Scabal. I think that even when I am looking at a piece of solid navy worsted. Since I can't offer you any real basis for my opinion, you should ignore it.

The basis would be that those firms make a lot of tacky stuff that Smith and Lesser would never touch, so even when you see traditional goods from them, the brand remains tainted in your mind.

6. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The basis would be that those firms make a lot of tacky stuff that Smith and Lesser would never touch, so even when you see traditional goods from them, the brand remains tainted in your mind.

That must be it. Thanks. I was worried that it might be because I was some sort of loonie.

7. EL72

EL72 Senior member

That must be it. Thanks. I was worried that it might be because I was some sort of loonie.

Those are not mutually exclusive explanations. [​IMG]

8. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

The problem is that his fabric selection is extremly limited, but he is the only one that does a full canvassed suit, so i need to decide between Riba a producer from spain I think, and the rest of his selction are designer fabric Kenzo GF versace Armani emporio. Not knowing really anything about suits and fabrics, I thought that Dormeuil was probably the best choice.... May be i should just get one made from the riba fabric.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

$725 USD is a great price for a canvassed Bespoke suit (with the Dormeuil fabric). $525 is amazing with any decent fabric.

May I ask where you are located.

10. Mblova

Mblova Senior member

$725 USD is a great price for a canvassed Bespoke suit (with the Dormeuil fabric). $525 is amazing with any decent fabric.

May I ask where you are located.

I would venture to say, ASIA. I am getting a Suit fused for close to 300 dollars USD. IF you want to get a canvassed suit here, the stitching alone is approx 220 dollars. Take in the cost of cloth and you can get a AWSOME suit for 600. All bespoke.

11. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Dormeuil makes ome of the best cloth in the world. Simple as that.

12. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

The gabardine is a bit too flashy for my taste. I had a pair of trousers made from it and promptly went back to Minnis.

13. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I would venture to say, ASIA. I am getting a Suit fused for close to 300 dollars USD. IF you want to get a canvassed suit here, the stitching alone is approx 220 dollars. Take in the cost of cloth and you can get a AWSOME suit for 600. All bespoke.

no I am currently working in Panama ( sorry with an english keyboard i never remebr how to do accents), but should be here just for another year. The advantage of asia maybe that they have a better selection of fabrics, I am not sure.

14. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I have never used there fabric before for suits and would like to know how it stands in respect to other producers and is it worth the added cost?
    Normally a suit cost 525 usd but using Dormeul super 120s tropical they are asking 725 usd for a bespoke suit.
    Another thing to connsider is that I am not particular about suits, so if Dormeuil is not worth the 200 usd i would rather spend it on shoes.

thanks

I have several fabrics from dormeuil, a worsted 120, a brathea dinner jacket, a slubless silk faille for a suit and at least 3 cashmere jackets. They make excellent cloths. I wouldnt say the premium is worth it but it depends on what you are looking for. In my case, no one else made the barathea I wanted in a midnight blue, no one else made the slubless silk etc... But if you just want a standard suit color or pattern, no reason to spend the extra dollares.

15. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dormeuil is for pimps, or worse, wannabe pimps.