• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the purpose of an extension neckband on (vintage (style)) workshirts?

ilikeworkwear

Reaction score
I’ve got a Ralph Lauren chambray with one and it looks neat. I like the utilitarian appeal it adds to the shirt but I wonder if it’s actually that useful in any sort of way. Much like epaulettes I guess, except I don’t like epaulettes. But at least I think epaulettes were made for suspenders?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tab collar ? keeps the tie neat

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but there's some interesting information and many examples of vintage shirts here:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And I thought epaulettes, other than rank, were a place to stash your C*nt-cap?

lol did you serve ? i've never heard that i had to look it up

ilikeworkwear

Reaction score
I can't answer your question, but there's some interesting information and many examples of vintage shirts here:

I obsessively read these two articles maybe a few times a week. It’s a shame how hard it is to find info on early 20th century workwear. Also, I’m having a hard time finding 1930s sears clothing catalogs for some reason online

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were to guess, I'd say that the extended neckband might help prevent the top button from pulling. It could spread the tension between two buttons.

Edit: Another idea is that it might be a way to loosen the collar while still keeping the shirt buttoned to the top. There's a photo in part 2 that shows a man wearing it this way (on right): https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...1cf515dedf088d0d4c_1024x1024.jpg?v=1555250218

ilikeworkwear

Reaction score
If I were to guess, I'd say that the extended neckband might help prevent the top button from pulling. It could spread the tension between two buttons.

Edit: Another idea is that it might be a way to loosen the collar while still keeping the shirt buttoned to the top. There's a photo in part 2 that shows a man wearing it this way (on right): https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...1cf515dedf088d0d4c_1024x1024.jpg?v=1555250218
I didn’t even notice he was wearing his shirt like that until you mentioned it, and I even have that photo saved on my phone 😆

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even General MacArthur had a collar (extension) tab on his army shirt:
images.jpeg

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol what ? come on , it straightens the collar and helps keep the tie neat , similar to the interior waist button of trousers , the one that crosses the fly

this isn't hard folks haha

JohnnyLaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not the same as a tab collar, which is meant to be worn with a tie. Note that the tabs are on the points to help keep them in place. https://propercloth.com/collar-styles/tab

We're talking about the extended neckband on vintage workshirts. These shirts were marketed to factory workers, farmers, tradesmen, etc. They were clearly not meant to be worn with ties. If you look at the old ads and catalogs, you can see that they had 2 major selling points: durability and comfort. The extended neckband detail is surely related to one or the other.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Mister Freedom brand claims
The "chin strap" (or "throat latch") may have become a gimmicky staple of 1930's workwear 'Heritage Fashion' for contemporary labels, but originally served the purpose of keeping one's shirt collar buttoned-up on the job, yet adjustable for comfort.
28337475_1814413545284534_4897970917899559369_o.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads