• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the proper length for denim jeans? (Or your preference)

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realizing that's entirely possible to wear an instead 36 when you are a 30 and use copious amounts of bunching, folding, or rolling, what is the "correct" length? I believe LA Guy says he wears his exact inseam which means that if he's standing barefoot, the very edge of the hem should roughly tough the floor, covering his ankle. This also means that when he's wearing shoes, the hem will sit 1/2-1" above the floor due to the sole of the shoe.

In an article about denim, Mauro says that it should fall slightly above the ground. I assume he means when you are wearing shoes.

People who come to Denim Bar want their jeans to be the perfect length, so Mauro measures customers with jeans on. Sometimes he sends the men home to get the shoes they plan to wear with the jeans, or he lends the women high heels, like bridal shops do. He marks the right length, so that the jeans nearly touch the floor in back
So which is it? What do you prefer? Of course Mauro's method will result in a slightly longer inseam, maybe 1.0 to 1.5 inches. Let's assume for the sake or argument that we are not going for the gangster/hood look.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like when my jeans just barely touches the floor when I'm standing barefoot. I'm not a big fan of the jeans covering the entire shoe, or bunching approach.

Jetta

Reaction score
I have always done it the same way as LA Guy. I can see the other method looking good, but only if you always wear the same shoes and I rarely wear the same pair.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I like when my jeans just barely touches the floor when I'm standing barefoot. I'm not a big fan of the jeans covering the entire shoe, or bunching approach.

Do you feel like it's too short when you are sitting in a chair or crossing your legs (ankle up to thigh)?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With bootcut, I go by the barely-touching-floor-barefoot.

If its straight leg, I don't mind it bunching up a bit on top of the shoe, as long as the leg opening is not too big that my heels step on the jeans.

HEWSINATOR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, as noted above, it is entirely dependant upon the cut of jean.

cultpop 0217

I, Manface
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
With bootcut, I go by the barely-touching-floor-barefoot.

If its straight leg, I don't mind it bunching up a bit on top of the shoe, as long as the leg opening is not too big that my heels step on the jeans.

yeah bootcut jeans need to be just right. with skinny/tapered jeans a little bunching looks alright.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a 32, for roughly a 31 inseam. Sometime I pull out a 34 with boots and a lot of bunching. I always cuff my jeans too.

!luc

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cultpop 0217
yeah bootcut jeans need to be just right. with skinny/tapered jeans a little bunching looks alright.

How much is a little bunching for you? How many inches past your true inseam?

headtowall

Reaction score
I like some bunching at the bottom around my shoes. With shoes on, I like them to be about an inch to 1.5 inches or so from the ground in the back.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
check the what are you wearing thread for how i like my jeans. long and bunched at the bottom.

Sator Sartoris

Reaction score
Do you hem the jeans right when you get them? On dry denim won't it shrink a little?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator Sartoris
Do you hem the jeans right when you get them? On dry denim won't it shrink a little?

Yes dry will shrink. My Levi's 501XX Shrink To Fits shrunk about 2-3 inches which is exactly what the directions predicted.

What's funny about shrinking is you have people talking about it then they also talk about stretching. I think I am more confused about fit than before I joined StyleForum. Oh yeah, get such and such jeans a size smaller. Then you "stretch' them out as you wear it and then wash it and it'll shrink right up. And lay in a tub of water too.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
Yes dry will shrink. My Levi's 501XX Shrink To Fits shrunk about 2-3 inches which is exactly what the directions predicted. What's funny about shrinking is you have people talking about it then they also talk about stretching. I think I am more confused about fit than before I joined StyleForum. Oh yeah, get such and such jeans a size smaller. Then you "stretch' them out as you wear it and then wash it and it'll shrink right up. And lay in a tub of water too.
Maybe part of what's confusing you is whether the jeans are sanforized or not? STF are not sanforized, thus they shrink up tremendously. Once they shrink, the waist willll then stretch out some as you wear them continuously. Washing them will shrink the waist back down to more or less where it was after the first wash. A lot of the other dry jeans--most of them, probably--that get mentioned here are sanforized, which means that, while there is usually a little shrinking after washing, it's mostly just an inch or less in the length, and nothing notable in the waist/etc. However, as usual, if you wear your jeans for a long time without washing, any areas that are stressed (like the waist, the thighs on tight jeans, the knees, etc) will stretch out. And when washed, they'll return to more or less where they were before they started stretching. And then when you wear them for a while, they'll stretch right back out again....

Goblin

Reaction score
I wear straight legs cuffed twice so the bottom of the cuff just touches the top of my sneakers. Not quite "my feet are soaked, but my cuffs are bone dry!"

I don't cuff my one pair of bootcuts, and the back hem just touches the ground when I'm wearing sneakers. I don't think bootcuts look quite right cuffed, and I can't be arsed to get them hemmed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads