• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is the point of drape in a suit?

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it for comfort? It seems like you are deliberately adding vertical waves to your chest.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Comfort and style. Some love it, some hate it. Vive la drape!

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by knittieguy
Is it for comfort? It seems like you are deliberately adding vertical waves to your chest.

Personally, I think it looks sloppy and too outdated.

I think there was a time when a certain group of inner circle persons wore this (All pre camera or self awareness) and it became the in thing they wore all their lives. The English seemed to settle on one tailor early on back then and keep him forever. Over time, outsiders decided that the drape must be the in thing and it kept going for years on those fumes as new waves of directionless people felt safe getting one because it was once the bright young things suit. Probably, right up through the 80s youd be safe in one as the most interesting choice. Today, you simply look like youve escaped from a 1940s movie. Not necessarily bad in and of itself but not a look garnered to command respect. However, upon seeing you in one, the elderly might feel a rush of romance over the nostalgia of it all.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drape is lovely. Flou, is divine. Tight, is Tom Ford.

wmjoanmildred15a.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Works especially well with flannel:

bogartzb9.png

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it Anderson and Sheppard was once quoted as saying? Something like:

"Some swear by our clothes, others swear at them."?

In the grand scheme of things it should naturally be whatever you want but it is best to know what messages you are sending. After that enlightenment, if you still approve, then be happy.

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling

wmjoanmildred15a.jpg

where is the drape in this shot?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling

wmjoanmildred15a.jpg

I have a couple of suits with a bit of drape and think it can look very nice when done well. The problem -- in my opinion -- is that it is not easy to balance drape with fit. This pic is an example: here, the coat just looks too big for my taste. Not big through the shoulders, just too roomy in the waist and arms.

summej2

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film_Noir_Buff
Who does it well anymore? I havent seen CHeo's suits, supposedly he does one. But really is this available rtw?

If you have wide shoulders relative to your frame, like me, almost everything RTW (including Brioni) ends up with a bit of drape (fullness in the chest), even if the waist supression is altered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads