1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of button flies?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stylemeup, Nov 13, 2009.

1. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

You have to think, what do you want more: open or close faster?

2. Francisco

Francisco Senior member

I've twice caught my foreskin in a zipper. That is not enjoyable.

Also the slidy wotsit sometimes creates an unsightly bulge on your fly (and not the sort that could be confused as indicating a gigantic wang-dang).

Plus, as others have said, zippers can unzip.

You don't wear underwear?

3. ppllzz

ppllzz Senior member

i am so skilled at un/buttoning up button flies that im actually faster with one than with a zipper.

4. Kevo

Kevo Member

I had a button fly once and I hated it. Never again.

I don't have issues forgetting to zip, and I don't have issues closing my junk in the zipper (edit: knock on wood). So I guess I can't relate to all these people face palming.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Among the Amish, men and boys wear denim trousers with two large overlapping panels in the front, which button to the waist. The bishop determines the number and size of buttons. Coats and vests are fastened by hook and eyes, never buttons. Suspenders are used to hold up the trousers. Belts are never worn.

I felt that it was important to mention this in this thread.

- B

6. dv3

dv3 Senior member

Button flies are usually just decorations: [​IMG]

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I prefer button flies on my trousers. I usually leave the top two buttons undone to demonstrate that the buttons are indeed functional. It adds a little sprezzatura to my fits.

8. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

Among the Amish, men and boys wear denim trousers with two large overlapping panels in the front, which button to the waist. The bishop determines the number and size of buttons. Coats and vests are fastened by hook and eyes, never buttons. Suspenders are used to hold up the trousers. Belts are never worn.

I felt that it was important to mention this in this thread.

- B

But Amish people are morons by descent?

9. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

Among the Amish, men and boys wear denim trousers with two large overlapping panels in the front, which button to the waist. The bishop determines the number and size of buttons. Coats and vests are fastened by hook and eyes, never buttons. Suspenders are used to hold up the trousers. Belts are never worn. I felt that it was important to mention this in this thread. - B
    The Amish trousers I've seen (admittedly few, and at a polite distance) were standard* fall front trousers -- very much like Navy enlisted service dress blue trousers. *for the early 19th century

10. Mr. Walter Trent

Mr. Walter Trent Well-Known Member

I prefer button flies on my trousers. I usually leave the top two buttons undone to demonstrate that the buttons are indeed functional. It adds a little sprezzatura to my fits.

Brilliant!

But seriously, I prefer zippers. I actually won't purchase pants if they have a button fly.

Wally

11. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Button fly are a pain. All my bespoke pants are zip fly. Having said that, I think one of the pluses of button fly is they tend to "stick" up less when one is seated.