• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the point of a divers watch which is water resistant to more than 200m?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

mdg137

Reaction score
Youre essentially right--

one thing to consider however (although not in any way indicating that someone would need resistance to 3900...) is that pressure is not just static-- if you are at 100m and motionless, the pressure is 100m-- but if you add in lateral movement at that given depth, the pressure is significantly greater.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
True. But what is the use of a chronograph in real life? A double rattrapante? A flyback? Even a date function is pretty much useless. And paying top dollar for a tourbillion is illogical imo. At least with a deepsea diver when you fall off the Marianas Strait and they fish your body the watch can still be salvageable.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
True. But what is the use of a chronograph in real life? A double rattrapante? A flyback? Even a date function is pretty much useless. And paying top dollar for a tourbillion is illogical imo. At least with a deepsea diver when you fall off the Marianas Strait and they fish your body the watch can still be salvageable.

Marianas are just a bit deeper than even the strongest diver watch can handle.

Plus the ratings are kinda off due to the factors mentioned above. A typical rating is something that a watch can sort of achieve at ideal conditions for a brief period of time. However, a prolonged exposure, bumps, etc - those all add to the stress. 200m/20ATM is pretty much the bare minimum for a real divers watch. And those deep diver watches are just damn cool.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
trust me, i need a watch which can withstand 600ATM when I am hitting 255mph in my Koenigsegg

anon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mdg137
Youre essentially right--

one thing to consider however (although not in any way indicating that someone would need resistance to 3900...) is that pressure is not just static-- if you are at 100m and motionless, the pressure is 100m-- but if you add in lateral movement at that given depth, the pressure is significantly greater.

pressure underwater is only dependent upon depth... anyway, I think the issue is that water resistant isn't the same as waterproof. it may be resistant to 200m but waterproof to only like 50m or something. thus a higher water-resistant rating also means it's waterproof to much greater depths. that's the way I've always understood it, anyway.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

I think its pretty nice to be able to look at my watch and know what the date is, its a pretty solid function, right after the time function, the one where you can look at the hands and see what time of day it is.

I know everyone has a cell, but for me its easier to glace at my watch.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"this one goes to eleven" ...
rolleyes.gif

maufic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
What is the point of a divers watch which is water resistant to more than 200m? eg the Rolex Deepsea which is resistant to 3900m. Who the hell goes diving that deep without a submarine?
confused.gif
After 200m, does the water resistance rating become like the super 120's rating?

The same reason people buy cars that can go 200 mph, because it's faster than 190 mph!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads