1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is the point of a cotton jacket or suit?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Apr 13, 2011.

1. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    From today's WAYWRN: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Wearing a khaki cotton suit to a beach wedding this weekend. It was a surprise gift from my girlfriend, so I haven't worn it out yet. It's from J. Crew's Ludlow line. J. Crew's slimt stuff is pretty much thing that fits me off the rack. Pants are a little tight in the thigh, but otherwise good.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Come to think of it I wore a navy cotton/linen suit for my daughters beach wedding (May, Mexico..hot and humid)

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

So it would seem that cotton is appropriate for warm summer weather?

5. AE7

AE7 Senior member

I cant find love in my heart for 100% cotton SC's. All the ones I had gave me a feeling of stiffness and constrain. Plus a bit too hot for warmer days.

6. Flartchy

Flartchy Senior member

So it would seem that cotton is appropriate for warm summer weather?

well IIRC cotton doesn't breathe as well as light wool or linen, so I don't know boutt hta.

7. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I was just thinking about having a brown velvet jacket made for next fall/winter. I saw a guy wear one about 4 years ago over several days on a business trip with jeans, grey flannels, solid white & blue shirts and it was a understated dressy look. Brown doesn't scream "velvet" yet looks soft and appealing.
    I agree. [​IMG]

8. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Both acridsheep and that New York guy's photos make the suit look rather like worsted wool, if only slightly more wrinkled and stiff. I would just prefer worsted in each of these cases. Or maybe this is just the case in photos and the difference is greater in real life. I have a cotton sportcoat from Banana Republic: [​IMG] I dislike the feel of it. Maybe I can try washing it and if it holds up to that I can wear it to occasions when I might soil my jacket, like an all you can eat, all you can drink Indian buffet.
    I was just thinking about having a brown velvet jacket made for next fall/winter. I saw a guy wear one about 4 years ago over several days on a business trip with jeans, grey flannels, solid white & blue shirts and it was a understated dressy look. Brown doesn't scream "velvet" yet looks soft and appealing.
    Even looking at emptym's photo, I remain skeptical of this. It looks very velvety to me, which has its place, but I wouldn't wear it on a business trip. But I'll tell you what's great about for business trips: linen. You can let it wrinkle in your suitcase and not worry about it, because linen always looks wrinkled anyway.

9. OttoSkadelig

OttoSkadelig Senior member

i'd never buy a cotton suit in a dark color - would much rather wear something in tropical wool - really, more comfortable. however, i do have a couple in light colors (a lightish blue-grey, and a creamy khaki) and they're great for garden parties.

that's about the only time i trot them out.

10. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Cotton trousers you can wash, so they make sense. But a cotton jacket can't be washed, doesn't keep you as cool as lightweight wool, and doesn't have texture like linen. What is the point?

Other than seersucker of course, which 1) is traditional and 2) its texture is functional in keeping you cool.

You can't wash wool trousers, either.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Wore the suit for about six hours to wedding the day previous. Then wore it to church the next day (many sins to be forgiven for [​IMG]) and brunch. Still not that wrinkled and very comfortable.

[​IMG]

12. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Just got a couple cotton jackets at Banana Republic for $40 ea on clearance, one black one khaki...and another medium blue one at LL bean (nicer and cheaper..on clearance...while I am not yet WAYWRN bold...I think they will fit in better in non-business meeting settings this summer, looking forward to it.

Just got a gold linen jacket on the Bay as well...while I love my wool BB and Burberry suits & jackets...they are just sometimes to dressy for my everyday settings. With these I can fit in better. Plus, clearance cheap!

I did get a corduoroy jacket at Bean's on clearance on a whim...it adds 30 years to me. That one could be headed to Thrift before its inaugural wearing, ugh....but I'll save it til fall and see how I feel then. Not much of a loss if you're not paying retail...

13. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Now that I've made a few unstructured (no canvas) cotton seersucker suits for myself, I can attest that they are very light and can be machine washed. The natural stiffness of cotton (and linen) lends allows them to be made unstructured, while it drapes almost no differently from a canvassed jacket. An unstructured wool jacket, on the other hand, is quite floppy and definitely doesn't drape as well as a canvassed wool jacket.

Not having a canvas makes a much bigger difference in the coolness of the jacket than any other change you can make to your jacket. I estimate:

going from full lining to half lining makes your jacket feel 2 degrees F cooler
    going from a four season 280 g fabric to a summer weight 240 g fabric: 3 degrees F cooler
    going from canvassed to unstructured: 5 degrees F cooler

Not having a canvas also allows them to be machine-washed, while I would be a little afraid of washing wool, even if unstructured.

In conclusion, I reverse my previous position, with a caveat: cotton jackets are fantastic, if they are made unstructured: they're cool and can be washed. A canvassed cotton jacket, though, is the worst of both worlds: they're hot and can't be washed. A fused cotton jacket would be even worse.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  14. Naive Jr.

Naive Jr. Senior member

The point of cotton is hygiene.
    I congratulate Mr Wang to his revision of prejudice. Who wants linen creases? I'm not able yet to buy Mr Wang's seersucker jacket, and based on the photograph of the model wearing it on Mr Wang's website, fear the jacket length is too short up front. I intend to buy a 215g Brisbane Moss cotton unstructured jacket because I intend to wash it, my reason for washing is to avoid expensive dry cleaning and keep it free from any odor caused by the sweat of disco dance. I shall buy one size larger because of intended shrinkage.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015