• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the perfect pen to give a girl as a gift?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my fiance or gf or etc. has her heart set on a pen. What is a good one to seek? She mentioned montegrappa. Where is a good place to get this? Is ebay out of the question? I am in China and there are horrible taxes on all imports and dreadful selection.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are lots of great options available. Take a look at the pens at fountainpenhospital.com, pengallery.com (a company in Malasia), among others.

huy

Reaction score
Montegrappa is a good brand, but quite expensive at retail. Nakaya is the better option if you have the money. Some cheaper quality brands: Pelikan, Lamy, Pilot, Sailor, Platinum, Bexley and Aurora.

I would not ebay unless you know more about pens.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know women were interested in that type of stuff

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It does seem to be quite a world of its own. She wants a more "girly" but still nice pen. I don't have huge amounts to spend, and retail seems quite high for nice pens.

Is vintage not a good idea for pens?

boo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

+1

The only time I've seen women interested in pens was when they had pink fur or hello kitty logos.

Jacksdad

Reaction score
I bought my wife a Cartier pen that she really likes. It has the "screw" design that you see in some of their "Love" jewelry. What woman doesn't like Cartier? Not sure you could go wrong with anything from that store.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow

yea, dont be a tool dude. Just give her your meat pen.

helpslip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Thanks for the advice. It does seem to be quite a world of its own. She wants a more "girly" but still nice pen. I don't have huge amounts to spend, and retail seems quite high for nice pens.

Is vintage not a good idea for pens?

Hi,
There are many lovely vintage pens. However, as with watches and cars, buying vintage can be a minefield for those who are short on budget and / or knowledge in the field. Also, pens are often a highly personal thing. Like a watch they can be prized for both tangible aspects (how they write, what materials they are made of, quality of construction, etc.,) and intangibles (aesthetics, brand prestige, will it impress manouche, etc.,). If the lady has suggested a particular product finding suitable substitutes will depend on ascertaining why she likes that brand. I am afraid that if the reason falls into the later category (intangible) you will be hard pressed to find a suitable substitute at a much lower price. You might suggest your budget so that folks could make concrete suggestions though.
Help!

sanrensho

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
yea, dont be a tool dude. Just give her your meat pen.
As in "is that your pen or are you just happy to see me?"

Pengranger

Reaction score
It may be useful to understand what type of pen you are after: fountain pen, rollerball or ball pen?

The size of the pen is also very important, and it may sound like a strange question, but does your GF have large hands? What material are you looking for? Metal, precious metal or acrylic? Where will it be kept? Rolling around a handbag isn't good for some pens...

Depending on the actual age, secondhand or vintage pens can be a great purchase. Some people may object if it was pre-owned, so would your GF object? Any idea on a price?

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help.

She would actually prefer vintage, I believe, and is not particularly concerned about brand. In fact she is somewhat anti-brand and said to make sure I don't get a Mont Blanc. Her hands are medium sized, but rather long and slender fingers. Her hands are actually the most beautiful part. She could be a model for gloves or rings. She wants a fountain pen.

I'm really not sure about my budget since I don't know the field. On the scale of things, I am rather destitute, hopefully in a somewhat gentlemanly way.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Thanks for all the help.

She would actually prefer vintage, I believe, and is not particularly concerned about brand. In fact she is somewhat anti-brand and said to make sure I don't get a Mont Blanc. Her hands are medium sized, but rather long and slender fingers. Her hands are actually the most beautiful part. She could be a model for gloves or rings. She wants a fountain pen.

I'm really not sure about my budget since I don't know the field. On the scale of things, I am rather destitute, hopefully in a somewhat gentlemanly way.

You are lucky to have a girlfriend who can see beyond the simplification of brand and newness.

Try David Nishimura: http://www.vintagepens.com/

Look through the site, and then pop him an email with your requirements, preferences, and budget.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads