• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the perfect house party attire?

House party attire- do you think it looks good

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

Jlai1996

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new here, and this is my first post so i'm sorry in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area.

Basically, this is my outfit and I wasn't too sure whether it was a great outfit and I'd love your opinion on it.

Here's a link to the photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/110418122@N04/

I'm wearing a grey dress shirt with a black cardigan on top, with dark navy denim jeans with tan boots

Thanks!

lwmarti

Reaction score
To put my comments in context, I believe what my mother told me many years ago: that dressing nicely is an easy way to be polite to the people around you.

What you're wearing here tells me that you're really not interested in doing that: your shirt isn't tucked in and your shoes aren't tied. You might be going for a particular look of some sort, but these things tell me that you're really not interested in the being-polite aspect of dressing well. Instead, it tells me that you couldn't be bothered to spend the time to do things like tucking in your shirt and tying your shoes, which reflects on how much you're trying to be polite to others.

But then I'm probably not the sort of person who'll be at this party. It certainly could be the case that their opinions are completely different. You're probably a better judge of what's appropriate for them than I am.

Nathan5653

Reaction score
To put my comments in context, I believe what my mother told me many years ago: that dressing nicely is an easy way to be polite to the people around you.

What you're wearing here tells me that you're really not interested in doing that: your shirt isn't tucked in and your shoes aren't tied. You might be going for a particular look of some sort, but these things tell me that you're really not interested in the being-polite aspect of dressing well. Instead, it tells me that you couldn't be bothered to spend the time to do things like tucking in your shirt and tying your shoes, which reflects on how much you're trying to be polite to others.

But then I'm probably not the sort of person who'll be at this party. It certainly could be the case that their opinions are completely different. You're probably a better judge of what's appropriate for them than I am.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a pajama jammy jam?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Styleforumj Jlai1996. I find myself more interested in the womens shoes that lay on the floor behind you. Should those belong to your S.O., then make it a pyjama party. She wears the top and you wear the bottom, or vice versa, as you like.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO that does not look good. I've seen grey shirts worn in a casual context (they are not proper dress shirts), but that one is all wrong (it appears to have too much sheen for one thing). I'm assuming your shoes will be tied if you are wearing them. If you're wearing a button-up shirt, tuck it in and for goodness sake undo the top button if you're not wearing a tie. If you don't want to tuck your shirt in, wear a more casual style of shirt.

As for whether it's appropriate, that really depends on what your host is expecting people to wear. If this is a casual get together where almost everyone is in jeans, you're probably fine. The best way to find out what people are going to be wearing is to simply ask the host. If you know for certain that the party is either on the more casual or more formal end, dress accordingly. Better to be a bit better dressed than the average person than a bit underdressed (emphasis on "a bit").

You will probably get better advice on casual combinations involving jeans on the streetwear and denim side of the forum.

steveabdn

Reaction score
To be honest I don't think there's anything wrong with your look but would you describe it as Classic Menswear? I think this would probably be best in the Streetwear and Denim section, you'll probably get some more positive feedback there and you're likely to hear form people who dress in a more similar way to yourself

Enjoy the party

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its OK apart from the boots which do not look at all correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics