• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the perfect "forever" ankle boot?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have searched and looked through the annals of this website and have yet to come to a conclusion. I need a boot that will look great with jeans and slacks, but not a suit, and that will last a long, long time. The sole should be sturdy but not chunky by any means, and the boot should cost $450 and under.

Any thoughts? Maybe something from Alden?

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Hello all,

I have searched and looked through the anals of this website and have yet to come to a conclusion. I need a boot that will look great with jeans and slacks, but not a suit, and that will last a long, long time. The sole should be sturdy but not chunky by any means, and the boot should cost $450 and under.

Any thoughts? Maybe something from Alden?

SS7416.JPG

bSS7416.JPG

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
RM Williams is a solid choice in your price range... unfortunately they're disqulified because they'd look good with a suit.

Ha! Well, they can look good with a suit - I just may not wear them with one. Where is a good place to order RM Williams from? I looked at http://www.bootsonline.com.au/ and for some reason their pricing is confusing me. AUD says 409, US$ says $265, but when I go to check out I get $409 (dollars). Makes no sense. I did this while searching before posting this thread, by the way.
musicboohoo[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha! Well, they can look good with a suit - I just may not wear them with one. Where is a good place to order RM Williams from? I looked at http://www.bootsonline.com.au/ and for some reason their pricing is confusing me. AUD says 409, US$ says $265, but when I go to check out I get $409 (dollars). Makes no sense. I did this while searching before posting this thread, by the way.
musicboohoo[1].gif

IT's $409 Australian Dollars, which is how you'll be charged, but it works out to less than $300 US ATM.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
musicboohoo[1].gif

That's 409 australian dollars which at current exchange rates is roughly equal to USD265.
teacha.gif

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Ah, thanks guys. Hmm... anyone have pics of the French Veal Calf Craftsman?

Also, anyone know a good store to look at boots in San Francisco?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barneys, Neiman, Gimme Shoes.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think John Lobb is a bit out of my price range, RJ.
smile.gif

Sorry... didn't catch the price limit.

Morgan

Reaction score
Dude, Alden's San Francisco shop on Sutter at Kearny currently has chukka boots (and plain toe bluchers) in both whiskey and cigar shell in stock. Go there, try on the chukka boot in your preferred color a half-size down from your normal size, realize how sweet it is, fork over the $625, and leave the shop secure in the knowledge that you'll never have to buy another ankle boot again. Unless, of course, you really want to.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Morgan
Dude, Alden's San Francisco shop on Sutter at Kearny currently has chukka boots (and plain toe bluchers) in both whiskey and cigar shell in stock. Go there, try on the chukka boot in your preferred color a half-size down from your normal size, realize how sweet it is, fork over the $625, and leave the shop secure in the knowledge that you'll never have to buy another ankle boot again. Unless, of course, you really want to.

$625... that is some dough. I called them and they have the chukkas with leather sole in my size, but not the commando sole, and not in the whiskey color. They have that in a 9.5 and I'm normally a 10.5. It might be worth a visit any way to get a feel for the type of shoe Alden makes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads