• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the perception of Fred Perry polos? Out of the logo polos what do you prefer?

Greathim

Reaction score
I am a big fan of polos However my friends have been telling me the Fred Perry is always connected with some fringe movements etc. What is your perception? Also what kind of polos do you prefer if you have to go in for a brand like Brooks brothers, Lacoste, polo RL, Fred Perry etc

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude, but why don't you take your questions to the Style Advice section? Seriously, the discussion forums aren't the place to help you go through every big name mass produced brand and every single piece of clothing you want to own one-by-one.

GG Allin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fred Perry has been associated with the skinhead movement, both racist and non-racist, for decades. In that time period, people who haven't the faintest association with that subculture have worn them as well (e.g. square types).

Recently in the USA, they have unfortunately become associated with a right wing movement of sad dipshits called the proud boys.

I like Fred Perry in theory, and used to wear them all the time, mainly because it's one of these brands that is so closely linked up with British subculture style, which is quite fascinating to me. If I still personally liked them, I wouldn't really care if someone thought I was a proud boy, as I ******* hate right wingers with a passion, and don't feel insecure about it.

I advise you go talk to the guys in teh skinhead to suedehead thread, who will probably have more interesting things to say on this topic.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fred Perry has been associated with the skinhead movement, both racist and non-racist, for decades. In that time period, people who haven't the faintest association with that subculture have worn them as well (e.g. square types).

Recently in the USA, they have unfortunately become associated with a right wing movement of sad dipshits called the proud boys.

I like Fred Perry in theory, and used to wear them all the time, mainly because it's one of these brands that is so closely linked up with British subculture style, which is quite fascinating to me. If I still personally liked them, I wouldn't really care if someone thought I was a proud boy, as I ******* hate right wingers with a passion, and don't feel insecure about it.

I advise you go talk to the guys in teh skinhead to suedehead thread, who will probably have more interesting things to say on this topic.
Good post.
I have a ton of polos, about ninety percent split evenly between Lacoste and FP. Almost all my Lacoste are plain colours while FP are famous for the contrast piping which in my Mod / OCD way I often match up to the stripes on my adidas gazelles.
FP was originally associated with the Mod subculture which predates all the negative connotations noted in the post above. I don’t condone any bollocks about right wing nutters and FP has made official statements about distancing themselves from any such links which is good enough for me.
It was particularly the black FP with yellow / ‘champagne’ piping that the Proud Boys adopted. That’s not a colour combination I would like anyway but if it was I may have been tempted to wear it anyway and ‘take it back’ from these eejits as anyone who knows me at all knows I hate that ****. Same way as an expat Mod I have no problem wearing the Union flag and if some no-mark wants to jump to the conclusion that I’m a right wing nutter that’s a product of their stupid and lazy prejudices - they don’t have the right to co-opt a nation’s flag.
Aside from all this a lot of FPs are made in China and some people object to that, which is all very admirable but if you boycott all made in China products you better be ready to hand in your cellphone, computer, and just about every child’s toy on the planet and the entire contents of WalMart!!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I am a big fan of polos However my friends have been telling me the Fred Perry is always connected with some fringe movements etc. What is your perception? Also what kind of polos do you prefer if you have to go in for a brand like Brooks brothers, Lacoste, polo RL, Fred Perry etc
Now i really prefer to buy polos without logos (John Smedley, Sunspel).

But the only ones i still wear with logos are the Perry ones.
It is the only brand i am wearing since my teens (with Levi's).
It is true that wearing FPs in the 1980s was a kind of statement in Europe, and a nod to several "subcultures".
I always preferred the plain ones because (imho) they look much better than the ones with piping, and they avoid a bit the connotations (Far Right, Football Club colors).

I have a little collection. I used to prefer the ones with discreet tonal logos, but they (almost) don't do them anymore. I have 2buttons and 3button affairs. Most are made in England or in Portugal. Only got a couple made in China as the quality sucks.

Fred collec.jpg

The only one with piping is a black one, with tonal stripes and logo.

Greathim

Reaction score
Now i really prefer to buy polos without logos (John Smedley, Sunspel).

But the only ones i still wear with logos are the Perry ones.
It is the only brand i am wearing since my teens (with Levi's).
It is true that wearing FPs in the 1980s was a kind of statement in Europe, and a nod to several "subcultures".
I always preferred the plain ones because (imho) they look much better than the ones with piping, and they avoid a bit the connotations (Far Right, Football Club colors).

I have a little collection. I used to prefer the ones with discreet tonal logos, but they (almost) don't do them anymore. I have 2buttons and 3button affairs. Most are made in England or in Portugal. Only got a couple made in China as the quality sucks.

View attachment 1631224
The only one with piping is a black one, with tonal stripes and logo.
What do you think the perception of Fred perry is now? In my country I have seen some middle aged people wearing them but in the UK I have seen a lot of people who were upto no good from the looks of it wearing them lol. I'm wondering if the brand is still worn by skinheads or hoodlums

Greathim

Reaction score

What do you think of the perception of the brand now? What about its shirts and not polos?

Greathim

Reaction score
Good post.
I have a ton of polos, about ninety percent split evenly between Lacoste and FP. Almost all my Lacoste are plain colours while FP are famous for the contrast piping which in my Mod / OCD way I often match up to the stripes on my adidas gazelles.
FP was originally associated with the Mod subculture which predates all the negative connotations noted in the post above. I don’t condone any bollocks about right wing nutters and FP has made official statements about distancing themselves from any such links which is good enough for me.
It was particularly the black FP with yellow / ‘champagne’ piping that the Proud Boys adopted. That’s not a colour combination I would like anyway but if it was I may have been tempted to wear it anyway and ‘take it back’ from these eejits as anyone who knows me at all knows I hate that ****. Same way as an expat Mod I have no problem wearing the Union flag and if some no-mark wants to jump to the conclusion that I’m a right wing nutter that’s a product of their stupid and lazy prejudices - they don’t have the right to co-opt a nation’s flag.
Aside from all this a lot of FPs are made in China and some people object to that, which is all very admirable but if you boycott all made in China products you better be ready to hand in your cellphone, computer, and just about every child’s toy on the planet and the entire contents of WalMart!!
Same. My collection is Lacoste and FP as well. I don't like PRL that much truth be told but am wondering what people think about FP shirts.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What do you think the perception of Fred perry is now? In my country I have seen some middle aged people wearing them but in the UK I have seen a lot of people who were upto no good from the looks of it wearing them lol. I'm wondering if the brand is still worn by skinheads or hoodlums
A Brit brand worn by all kind of Brit people, like Lacoste is a French brand worn by all kind of French people, hoodlums included. Thugs love Lacoste here, it has a lot of bad connotations now in France.

Greathim

Reaction score
A Brit brand worn by all kind of Brit people, like Lacoste is a French brand worn by all kind of French people, hoodlums included. Thugs love Lacoste here, it has a lot of bad connotations now in France.
Hmm. Interesting. That's what my french Friend had to say as well. What do you think are the best logo polos without these connotations

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Hmm. Interesting. That's what my french Friend had to say as well. What do you think are the best logo polos without these connotations
This is a strange question ! As I said I prefer no logos now. But I still like the FP one as it is a nice design and quite discreet. I really don’t like the PRL one. If I had to buy one with a logo (i won’t but let’s play the game)…Lyle and Scott maybe (they do tonals) ?

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like FP and I’m not Brit. Quality and cut is good, it has heritage, colors are solid and deep, and I thought the piping accents one’s face. Happy to wear the black with yellow piping as it works better than it sounds, and no one mistakes me for a far righter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads