• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the new trend in tie length?

metroman

Reaction score
Growing up the fashion at the time was to keep the tie an inch and half above the belt.

Then when I was old enough to work I would scoff at guys who have their ties hang down so low as if it were a symbolic penis or something and they yet rebuffed me saying it is in to wear a neck tiie below the belt.

So what is it today?

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AgentQ
. .

Ummm.... It's a serious question. Also what about skinny ties?

I know they went out of fashion along with Hewy Lewis and the News in the 1980's
Are fat ties in? I just can't see myself wearing my grandfathers silk ties.

What about those fake pseudo ties with square bottoms also made famous by Huey Lewis and the News.

I used to wear skinny ties when I worked at the World Bank. But I think I really need to take a good hard look at todays fashion.
Should I really just buy a magazine of GQ? I'm afraid of opening the pages and barfing on them.

I once tried letting this japanese friend of mine choose the tie I should wear but her taste was into artwork on ties like Dali.
I went to work and my co workers laughed at me.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metroman
Ummm.... It's a serious question. Also what about skinny ties?

I know they went out of fashion along with Hewy Lewis and the News in the 1980's
Are fat ties in? I just can't see myself wearing my grandfathers silk ties.

What about those fake pseudo ties with square bottoms also made famous by Huey Lewis and the News.

I used to wear skinny ties when I worked at the World Bank. But I think I really need to take a good hard look at todays fashion.
Should I really just buy a magazine of GQ? I'm afraid of opening the pages and barfing on them.

I once tried letting this japanese friend of mine choose the tie I should wear but her taste was into artwork on ties like Dali.
I went to work and my co workers laughed at me.

Skinny ties: yes. The models have been getting skinnier, and so have the ties.
Fat ties: not that I know of.
Square bottoms: yes. These are often seen on knit ties, a huge hit on SF - I do think the hype is a bit over, but it's still a strong statement.

To get a sense of fashion nowadays, just check out the pictures from the various fashion week runway shows. Alternatively, most clothing by mall brands is inspired by the big designers. For example; purple is the color of the season, 3-piece suits are back and so are contrast-collar shirts.

metroman

Reaction score
Great information thanks guys!
rimshot.gif

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being young and athletic I much prefer the narrower variety of ties. Anywhere from 2.75-3" is what I shoot for. However on occasion when wearing a suit to a client meeting I will wear a somewhat wider tie around 3.25".

As for the length, I have a pretty long torso (think Michael Phelps proportions) so I keep the bottom of the tie about 1-1.5" from the belt buckle. Any longer and it really accentuates my longer upper body.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I aim for the belt buckle and let the trends do what they may.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tie width and lapel width should be similar. Narrow lapels=narrow tie.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was always taught that the tip should just reach the belt buckle. However, I have noticed that many people are wearing it a bit shorter these days. I think as long as the tie does not extend past the belt, you should be safe.

Also, skinny ties are definitely "in." I have a bunch of wider ties, but I have trouble finding a jacket where I feel comfortable wearing them. Keep in mind that the width of the tie should reflect the width of the jacket lapel. Too wide of a tie with too skinny of a lapel, or vice versa, would look awkward.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
As many of said belt buckle region is what to short for - if it hangs lower then the belt, it's too long, and if it more then one belt width higher then you belt it is too short. If you fat stick with tie touching the belt, as shorter tie look really bad on a fat guy.

adamsnez

Reaction score
re: tie length
do you guys go by: TIP reaches pantline, or WIDEST (read: pointed area on each side) reaches pantline. i always thought side points look best with tip extending JUST below

square bottom ties seem to be a large hit when i wear them (do quite often now).
everyone is mind-effed by a "square tie", most people have never heard of them

metroman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
Tie width and lapel width should be similar. Narrow lapels=narrow tie.

I did not know that thanks :)
worship.gif

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm older and 3 & 1'2" or 3 & 3'4"' width is fine for me. 3 & 1/4" width works well too though a 3" width seems a bit thin on me.

Not much has been said about tie length. 56-58" seems to work for me I agree that the tie tip should rest right about the top of your belt. But since people of are of such different heights and torsos, I don't think it would be possible to have a definitive tie length. I do believe that at 60" or longer, ties are usually "Long" or extra long. When a tie is 55" or less in length I begin to have trouble.

A 3 & 1/2", 57" long tie is just about right for me.;

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At school, we were taught that the tip of the tie should be halfway between the last visible shirt button and you trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads