• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the "MINIMUM" maintenance leather shoes would require for a lazy person like me?

Juan

Reaction score
Like my car, my shoes only get cleaned when it rains. Am I missing anything important?

(I'm not talking of 800€ shoes, but rather of 100 - 150€ shoes)

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eh, give them a 2 second brush after wearing, polish every 5-10 wears, and do a conditioning twice a year.

gsgleason

Reaction score
It really depends on the material. For instance, corrected grain "leather" would not be treated the same as full grain calfskin.

In general:

Keep shoe trees that fit the shoe in the shoe whenever your foot is not. You can get decent cedar woodlore brand at Nordstrom Rack for around $13.
Brush after each use.
If there is dirt/dust/grime wipe with a damp (not wet) cloth and then brush.
Condition at least twice a year.
Keep polished. I don't mean necessarily a high shine, but at least a decent cream polish to help protect the leather and provide a bit of conditioning and water protection.

Juan

Reaction score
It really depends on the material. For instance, corrected grain "leather" would not be treated the same as full grain calfskin.

In general:

Keep shoe trees that fit the shoe in the shoe whenever your foot is not. You can get decent cedar woodlore brand at Nordstrom Rack for around $13.
Brush after each use.
If there is dirt/dust/grime wipe with a damp (not wet) cloth and then brush.
Condition at least twice a year.
Keep polished. I don't mean necessarily a high shine, but at least a decent cream polish to help protect the leather and provide a bit of conditioning and water protection.

eh, give them a 2 second brush after wearing, polish every 5-10 wears, and do a conditioning twice a year.

Thank you for your advice

So, to recap:

1- A two-second brush after wearing, I guess with a thing like this:

2- If bit dirty use damp cloth

3- Every six months do a conditioning, with some "leather conditioner" like this, I surmise:

and a cloth

4- Store with a shoe-tree

With all that I can skip coloured cream polishes and so, right?

Juan

Reaction score
ok, I am going to add the polishing:

1- A two-second brush after wearing, I guess with a thing like this:

2- If bit dirty use damp cloth

3- Polish with a cream polish let's say once every month. Using a cloth and someting like this:

or this:

(not sure which kind is best)

4- Every six months do a conditioning, with some "leather conditioner" like this, I surmise:

and a cloth

5- Store with a shoe-tree

Now... is that really the "MINIMUM"?

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no, there is no minimum. You can not do anything to them. This will shorten their life and they won't look as good, but its not like they will instantly melt.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Like my car, my shoes only get cleaned when it rains. Am I missing anything important?

Step 1 is take them off after you wear them. Then go buy $1,000 shoes. Then use the care steps outlined above. /SF approved.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can either maintain your things or you can pay for replacements. If you're too stupid/lazy/cheap to do either of those, then you'll just look like a typical slob.

I'm assuming that you're an adult and have a job. Why wouldn't you want to maintain the things that you spend your hard-earned cash on?

Last edited:

Juan

Reaction score
You can either maintain your things or you can pay for replacements. If you're too stupid/lazy/cheap to do either of those, then you'll just look like a typical slob.

I'm assuming that you're an adult and have a job. Why wouldn't you want to maintain the things that you spend your hard-earned cash on?

Because certainly I am an adult and have more important things to do in life than being a fussy little body dayly poli-polishing the shoes in his fabulous shoe collection

(Agressive post - outright retort)

happy?

Ivar

Reaction score

I'm like you when it comes to shoe maintenance. I can't imagine mustering up the energy to shine them every week (or however often the shoe buffs do it) or brush them after every wearing. What I do is that I polish them once at the beginning of the season and once at the end of it (before they go into hibernation). I sometimes also polish them, if, for whatever reason, they look a bit grubby (like if I wore them to a concert or bar and someone happened to step on them). At all other times, I get by with cleaning them with water. This I do maybe once or twice a week.

So, how do my shoes hold up? Pretty good, I daresay. My horsehide boots (which are to all intents and purposes cordovan) almost look like new, despite my having worked them to death for three seasons, and my calf shoes look more than nice, too.

I do use shoe trees, however, and I normally let the shoes rest a day in between wearings.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the job for my Jeeves.

Fiddler

Reaction score

I understand your question....the minimum you can do is that when you are standing in starbucks or any queue, just rub the front of your right shoe against the back of your left leg. For this you must of course be wearing long pants or it wont work. You can do it for 1 minute or 5 minutes, whatever you like. Thats the MINIMUM.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps you are getting the wrong shoes, or car.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because certainly I am an adult and have more important things to do in life than being a fussy little body dayly poli-polishing the shoes in his fabulous shoe collection

(Agressive post - outright retort)

happy?
So we've covered "stupid" and "lazy." Can you somehow bring "cheap" into the explanation too?

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But 5 pair of the cheapest crappy shoes you can buy; 3 pairs in black, 2 pairs in brown.
Never wear any pair of shoes 2 days in a row.
After a days wearing, take a damp cloth and wipe them off. Stuff newspaper into the shoes to absorb thr moisture out of them and maintain their shape. Apply leather lotion to them once a month. Let dry, brush, then buff.

The only thing cheaper is to own 1 pair if crappy shoes, wear them every day. They will stink after a month and you'll never get it out. Women will be turned off becasue you are a skank and you will ive in loneliness and despair.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads