• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the invisible stitching method called on these shoes?

lullemans72

Reaction score
Hi guys,

A little while ago, I bought a new pair of shoes which you can see in the photos below. The thing I noticed about these shoes is they didn't seem to have any visible stitching around the welt/out sole except for a very thin line.

I'm familiar with closed channel stitching which usually refers to invisible stitching around the bottom of the sole, but is this basically the same concept for these shoes, just with invisible stitching around the welt instead? If so, is it also referred to as just closed channel stitching? I couldn't find anything about it online.

FWIW, I bought these shoes for around 40.000 JPY (roughly 380 USD), and it's the most I've dropped for dress shoes so far, so my guess is it's some kind of premium stitching method given the price tag. I own both blake stitched and good year welted shoes with visible stitching, but I hadn't yet seen a stitching method like this one.
IMG_20200922_201627.jpg
IMG_20200922_201559.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
The easiest way to determine the stitching method would be to ask the maker.

You can't just assume a random shoe is well-made or worth its price. People make bonwelted shoes and sell them for more than $400, believe me. If you spend time here, you know the names of a hundred brands that are really worth that kind of money. So...

lullemans72

Reaction score
The easiest way to determine the stitching method would be to ask the maker.

You can't just assume a random shoe is well-made or worth its price. People make bonwelted shoes and sell them for more than $400, believe me. If you spend time here, you know the names of a hundred brands that are really worth that kind of money. So...

Thanks for the reply. Contacting the maker would have been my last resort. On their website all it says is it's a good year welt. But to go back to my original question, do you recognize the stitching method in the first photo?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all Goodyear welted shoes have a visible 360 welt. I know Allen Edmonds does this and some people prefer that hefty look. On the other hand, sometimes you want a bit more of a refined profile.

As for the name of this particular method, I don’t know.

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Contacting the maker would have been my last resort. On their website all it says is it's a good year welt. But to go back to my original question, do you recognize the stitching method in the first photo?

It's hard to eyeball a stitching method. One thing you can try to do in general is match up the stitching on the top and bottom. If it's more densely stitched on one side than the other, that's a sign that the stitching is just there for show, which is usually a sign that it's cemented / "bonwelted."

That said, sometimes blake stitches use a fake welt too, just because the style is common. Hand welts and stormwelts are hard to tell from machined goodyear welts from the outside, at least as far as my eye can recognize. It's not norvegese or anything distinctive like that.

It doesn't look like it was hand-stitched to me. If they say it was goodyear welted, I can believe that. But the toe doesn't look great in the front, I'm sure Carmina would have made a neater shoe than that.

Leventis

Reaction score
Hy lullemans72!

Is it a pair of loafers?
I have only seen this ”invisible” stiching in loafers!
For exampel the ”Sydney” loafer by Crockett and Jones and the ”Allenby” loafer by Herring is made like this

lullemans72

Reaction score
It's hard to eyeball a stitching method. One thing you can try to do in general is match up the stitching on the top and bottom. If it's more densely stitched on one side than the other, that's a sign that the stitching is just there for show, which is usually a sign that it's cemented / "bonwelted."

That said, sometimes blake stitches use a fake welt too, just because the style is common. Hand welts and stormwelts are hard to tell from machined goodyear welts from the outside, at least as far as my eye can recognize. It's not norvegese or anything distinctive like that.

It doesn't look like it was hand-stitched to me. If they say it was goodyear welted, I can believe that. But the toe doesn't look great in the front, I'm sure Carmina would have made a neater shoe than that.

Hey Daniel, and very sorry for the tardy reply.

I agree that it isn't always easy to tell the actual stitching just by looking at the shoe from the outside. As for these shoes, the leather certainly looks and feels high quality, and so does the construction, as well as the comfort when I'm wearing them. They are on par with other good year welted shoes I own from Japanese brands. In fact, I might even go as far as saying that the leather on these shoes feels sturdiest of them all.

Hy lullemans72!

Is it a pair of loafers?
I have only seen this ”invisible” stiching in loafers!
For exampel the ”Sydney” loafer by Crockett and Jones and the ”Allenby” loafer by Herring is made like this

No, these are not loafers, they're just brogues.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics