• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the general StyleForum consensus on Men's Dress Boots?

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
I've been wanting to know for a while what SF thinks about men's dress boots. I did a search of the forum and the reviews were mixed. I personally considered the boots since I dont like the way my dress slacks (with minimal to no break) fall on the tops of my shoes and laces. I thought with a dress boot, the leg opening would slide over the top of the boot and maintain a "clean" look.

Here's a sample of a simple dress boot I saw over the weekend which I particularly liked.

Thanks in advance,

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No boot is complete without a wingtip.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Hi, that boot ur showing is Chukka and works with a suit.

hate that leather pattern btw,

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't speak for the group but I believe that the general "consensus" if you will is that dress boots are pretty f***ing awesome. SF member Ron Rider (RIDER) has his own company making boots and you should check out his site, www.riderboot.com.

The boots you showed are indeed chukkas but I probably wouldn't press them into service with a suit, particularly in the heavily pebbled grain you show. However, Chelsea boots can work with the right suit, and there are all kinds of cool boots like the ones pictured by Metlin that are pretty awesome.

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
Awesome - thanks - good to hear the support. I just saw these on the Rider site which I love.
rbcb2-tm2.jpg

lizmasc

Reaction score
I don't know about the general consensus but I'm enjoying the looks of every pair of boots here except the first ones posted in the attachment, I'm guess I like to see more brown on these boots
blush.gif
smiley2.gif

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie Big Potato
Awesome - thanks - good to hear the support. I just saw these on the Rider site which I love.

rbcb2-tm2.jpg

I have these in shell from Ron!! Love them!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO chukkas, chelseas, and high lace boots are fine with suits. Some styles are better than others, but in general boots work well, especially in colder climates this time of year.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of dress boots as perfectly acceptable formal attire, except perhaps with a dinner jacket and trousers. Prior to the development of the oxford shoe in the late 1800s, all gentlemen wore boots. How this could then be turned around in the 21st century to make them inappropriate with suits makes no sense to me whatsoever...

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
I believe the boots that you displayed in your very first attachment are the low mali boot by Banana Republic. Much better suited for casual attire IMHO. There are other examples in this thread, and on the forum in general, that are more appropriate examples of a "dress boot".

As for a consensus, if you can rock them, wear them! Just pair them accordingly.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I've always thought of dress boots as perfectly acceptable formal attire, except perhaps with a dinner jacket and trousers. Prior to the development of the oxford shoe in the late 1800s, all gentlemen wore boots. How this could then be turned around in the 21st century to make them inappropriate with suits makes no sense to me whatsoever...

+1

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im confused... how are people suppose to see my gaudily colorful socks if I have boots on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads