• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the general StyleForum consensus on Men's Dress Boots?

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
I've been wanting to know for a while what SF thinks about men's dress boots. I did a search of the forum and the reviews were mixed. I personally considered the boots since I dont like the way my dress slacks (with minimal to no break) fall on the tops of my shoes and laces. I thought with a dress boot, the leg opening would slide over the top of the boot and maintain a "clean" look.

Here's a sample of a simple dress boot I saw over the weekend which I particularly liked.

Thanks in advance,

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No boot is complete without a wingtip.

Tez Mulan

Reaction score
Hi, that boot ur showing is Chukka and works with a suit.

hate that leather pattern btw,

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't speak for the group but I believe that the general "consensus" if you will is that dress boots are pretty f***ing awesome. SF member Ron Rider (RIDER) has his own company making boots and you should check out his site, www.riderboot.com.

The boots you showed are indeed chukkas but I probably wouldn't press them into service with a suit, particularly in the heavily pebbled grain you show. However, Chelsea boots can work with the right suit, and there are all kinds of cool boots like the ones pictured by Metlin that are pretty awesome.

Charlie Big Potato

Reaction score
Awesome - thanks - good to hear the support. I just saw these on the Rider site which I love.

lizmasc

Reaction score
I don't know about the general consensus but I'm enjoying the looks of every pair of boots here except the first ones posted in the attachment, I'm guess I like to see more brown on these boots

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie Big Potato
Awesome - thanks - good to hear the support. I just saw these on the Rider site which I love.

I have these in shell from Ron!! Love them!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IMO chukkas, chelseas, and high lace boots are fine with suits. Some styles are better than others, but in general boots work well, especially in colder climates this time of year.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought of dress boots as perfectly acceptable formal attire, except perhaps with a dinner jacket and trousers. Prior to the development of the oxford shoe in the late 1800s, all gentlemen wore boots. How this could then be turned around in the 21st century to make them inappropriate with suits makes no sense to me whatsoever...

STYLE_ADDICT

Reaction score
I believe the boots that you displayed in your very first attachment are the low mali boot by Banana Republic. Much better suited for casual attire IMHO. There are other examples in this thread, and on the forum in general, that are more appropriate examples of a "dress boot".

As for a consensus, if you can rock them, wear them! Just pair them accordingly.

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I've always thought of dress boots as perfectly acceptable formal attire, except perhaps with a dinner jacket and trousers. Prior to the development of the oxford shoe in the late 1800s, all gentlemen wore boots. How this could then be turned around in the 21st century to make them inappropriate with suits makes no sense to me whatsoever...

+1

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im confused... how are people suppose to see my gaudily colorful socks if I have boots on?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40