What is the general StyleForum consensus on Men's Dress Boots?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Charlie Big Potato, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Charlie Big Potato

Charlie Big Potato Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to know for a while what SF thinks about men's dress boots. I did a search of the forum and the reviews were mixed. I personally considered the boots since I dont like the way my dress slacks (with minimal to no break) fall on the tops of my shoes and laces. I thought with a dress boot, the leg opening would slide over the top of the boot and maintain a "clean" look.

Here's a sample of a simple dress boot I saw over the weekend which I particularly liked.

Thanks in advance,
    [​IMG]

2. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

No boot is complete without a wingtip. [​IMG]

3. Tez Mulan

Tez Mulan Senior member

Hi, that boot ur showing is Chukka and works with a suit.

hate that leather pattern btw,

4. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

I can't speak for the group but I believe that the general "consensus" if you will is that dress boots are pretty f***ing awesome. SF member Ron Rider (RIDER) has his own company making boots and you should check out his site, www.riderboot.com.

The boots you showed are indeed chukkas but I probably wouldn't press them into service with a suit, particularly in the heavily pebbled grain you show. However, Chelsea boots can work with the right suit, and there are all kinds of cool boots like the ones pictured by Metlin that are pretty awesome.

5. Charlie Big Potato

Charlie Big Potato Well-Known Member

Awesome - thanks - good to hear the support. I just saw these on the Rider site which I love. [​IMG]

6. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

This is a dress boot:

[​IMG]

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

For suits, I prefer sleek chelseas. They look great with a slimmer suit/narrower leg opening.

8. lizmasc

lizmasc Senior member

I don't know about the general consensus but I'm enjoying the looks of every pair of boots here except the first ones posted in the attachment, I'm guess I like to see more brown on these boots [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Mopar_Hendrix

Mopar_Hendrix New Member

This is a dress boot:

[​IMG]

First post but I really like these oddly enough.

10. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Senior member

Awesome - thanks - good to hear the support. I just saw these on the Rider site which I love.

[​IMG]

I have these in shell from Ron!! Love them!

11. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

IMO chukkas, chelseas, and high lace boots are fine with suits. Some styles are better than others, but in general boots work well, especially in colder climates this time of year.

12. academe

academe Senior member

I've always thought of dress boots as perfectly acceptable formal attire, except perhaps with a dinner jacket and trousers. Prior to the development of the oxford shoe in the late 1800s, all gentlemen wore boots. How this could then be turned around in the 21st century to make them inappropriate with suits makes no sense to me whatsoever...

13. STYLE_ADDICT

STYLE_ADDICT Well-Known Member

I believe the boots that you displayed in your very first attachment are the low mali boot by Banana Republic. Much better suited for casual attire IMHO. There are other examples in this thread, and on the forum in general, that are more appropriate examples of a "dress boot".

As for a consensus, if you can rock them, wear them! Just pair them accordingly.

14. saint

saint Senior member

I've always thought of dress boots as perfectly acceptable formal attire, except perhaps with a dinner jacket and trousers. Prior to the development of the oxford shoe in the late 1800s, all gentlemen wore boots. How this could then be turned around in the 21st century to make them inappropriate with suits makes no sense to me whatsoever...

+1

15. fcuknu

fcuknu Senior member

Im confused... how are people suppose to see my gaudily colorful socks if I have boots on?