• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the future of fashion?

jamboy1x1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Do you think the future of fashion is based around exclusivity? clothes with a niche purpose? advanced materials? colours, new textures, lifestyle?

which one of these do you think has more appeal???

For example exclusivity via limited edition shoes, t-shirts, tops, hoodies, dresses etc. are becoming more popular..people don't want clothes other people have..

what are your thoughts?

thx

jamboy1x1

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
customization and rapid prototyping

zw-gator

Reaction score
The future? Clothing that needs to be woren to look good. Like raw denim, but with shirts, tees and jackets

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I'd have to agree with the customization/personalization.

I can see a (*edit* larger) brand doing something like what vans has done with shoes only with jeans. Such as picking your stitching color, single stitch, weight of denim, etc.

robbie

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Depending on how far into the future you are talking about, I can see environmental laws playing in a big part in choice of materials.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeansandtshirt
Depending on how far into the future you are talking about, I can see environmental laws playing in a big part in choice of materials.
Very astute prediction. Cotton is currently the favourite lower-end fabric, but if the environmental externalities were internalized it might lose that throne. Since natural fabrics aren't coming down in price anytime soon, we should expect to see more synthetics and manufactured fabrics (eg: bamboo rayon).

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yoyo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Very astute prediction. Cotton is currently the favourite lower-end fabric, but if the environmental externalities were internalized it might lose that throne. Since natural fabrics aren't coming down in price anytime soon, we should expect to see more synthetics and manufactured fabrics (eg: bamboo rayon).

especially as manmade fibres increase in quality, variety, and are given unique properties.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hmmm, i can see fashion being more accessible in the future, especially with the advent of the internet and stores like h&m and uniqlo making products that mix classic style with current trends.

i also think tailoring and custom-fitting will start to be more widespread, since companies like thomas pink make custom shirts, and basics like american apparel are readily available for wholesale prices, it seems there's a lot of new t-shirt design companies on the rise. plus websites like threadless have been fostering a community for people who like that sort of thing, and shoe companies like nike and vans allow customers to design their own shoes, i'm not sure how that's doing financially though.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ctrlaltelite
hmmm, i can see fashion being more accessible in the future, especially with the advent of the internet and stores like h&m and uniqlo making products that mix classic style with current trends.
A good question is what's going to happen to The Gap: it must significantly change or die-out, leaving a niche open in many small cities. It could end up going toward fashion knock-offs?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
A good question is what's going to happen to The Gap: it must significantly change or die-out, leaving a niche open in many small cities. It could end up going toward fashion knock-offs?

Indeed. I believe H&M, Urban Outfitters, and Zara will proliferate and become the new Gap.

On a side-note, Gap's "main line" of clothing is incredibly conservative, but I find some of the stuff on the clearance rack to be quite nice. I found a really nice cardigan and a few nice V-neck t-shirts...not to mention the RED jeans they have for $15 or so that have really nice denim and a subtle wash.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's see...

Automatic drying clothes that talk,
shoes that tie themselves,
and all the kids will wear their pockets inside out.

All of this should be available by, oh say, the year 2015.

BackToTheFuture2MartyMcFly.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeansandtshirt

High fashion still uses a large amount of exotic materials including reptile skins and furs. Granted, they are farmed.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by apocalypse later
Indeed. I believe H&M, Urban Outfitters, and Zara will proliferate and become the new Gap.

On a side-note, Gap's "main line" of clothing is incredibly conservative, but I find some of the stuff on the clearance rack to be quite nice. I found a really nice cardigan and a few nice V-neck t-shirts...not to mention the RED jeans they have for $15 or so that have really nice denim and a subtle wash.

Good observation about the Gap. Whenever I walk in there, it is only to check out the clearance rack. Some of the stuff is internet returns that they don't carry in some of the mall stores. I think I know what cardigan you are talking about as well.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
High fashion still uses a large amount of exotic materials including reptile skins and furs. Granted, they are farmed.

*nods* We also still drive cars mainly powered by gasoline. Politics can change a lot of that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads