• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ircfas133

Reaction score
Hello, gentlemen:

It seems that Park Avenue is the first Oxford people usually buy from AE. And the same is true for McAllister among Wingtip. How about casual boat shoe (not too casual though) that I can wear everyday and can pretty much go with everything? Thanks!

Edit

A lot of people seem to recommend eastport, what is your take on this?

Last edited:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several AE dress shoes and love them. However, my "boat shoes" are Sperry Topsiders. Get Sperrys and spend your $ on AE dress shoes.

ajmanouk

Reaction score
Or do what I did and find a pair of Eastports on eBay BNIB for 60 bucks!:slayer:

But yeah, Sperry's are great.

ircfas133

Reaction score
Thank you for you lovely people. Very educational!
smile.gif

ircfas133

Reaction score
I have several AE dress shoes and love them. However, my "boat shoes" are Sperry Topsiders. Get Sperrys and spend your $ on AE dress shoes.

When do they usually go on sales? Sorry, I'm a student on a budget... Thanks!

pyroxyze

Reaction score
Depends where you buy. If you get it from places like Macys, you're going to have to wait for a generic coupon. The shoes specifically don't really go on sale unless it's a ****** color since they're really popular.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Eastports.

But I also have some Sebagos that are very nice - nicer than the Sperrys I have had.

Chris

ircfas133

Reaction score
I bought the Eastports.
But I also have some Sebagos that are very nice - nicer than the Sperrys I have had.
Chris

The Sebagos brand you suggest also looks fantastic. How's their quality? When do they usually go on sales, if any? Thanks a lot!

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recomend looking at Rancourts. A bit more than Sperry and AEs but well worth the little extra.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Eastports. They are great and feature a very cushioned comfy footbed. Buy with confidence.

edit- They are also re-soleable if done through Allen Edmonds. The cushy footbeds are removeable.

Last edited:

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Sebagos brand you suggest also looks fantastic.  How's their quality?  When do they usually go on sales, if any?  Thanks a lot! 

I would put their quality above Sperry but below the Eastports - that's the only other brands of boat shoe I have owned. My Sebagos feel much better than my current Sperrys. My last 2 pair of Sperrys have felt flimsy and poorly constructed. The soles almost feel like they are going to fall off when they are brand new. I won't be buying any more Sperrys.

I buy my Sebagos at my local menswear / clothing store. They are always a little off suggested retail. But they run them on bigger sales periodically - usually early in the Spring when they first start coming in as a "kick off Spring" event and then they have them on sale in the Fall near the holidays.

Chris

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would put their quality above Sperry but below the Eastports - that's the only other brands of boat shoe I have owned. My Sebagos feel much better than my current Sperrys. My last 2 pair of Sperrys have felt flimsy and poorly constructed. The soles almost feel like they are going to fall off when they are brand new. I won't be buying any more Sperrys.
I buy my Sebagos at my local menswear / clothing store. They are always a little off suggested retail. But they run them on bigger sales periodically - usually early in the Spring when they first start coming in as a "kick off Spring" event and then they have them on sale in the Fall near the holidays.
Chris
I bought a pair of Sperrys at the beginning of the summer. I wore them probably 8 times or so, and the insole is already falling apart. I can probably continue to wear them, but I don't have much confidence they will hold up for long. They may well last me over a year, but only because I won't be wearing them for 9 months of that period.

ircfas133

Reaction score
A lot of people seem to like eastport by AE. After discount it is not much more expensive than other lesser known brands suggested. However, with the end of AE's rediscover America sales event, its price has gone back to $ 178. Any suggestions on when would be the best time to buy in the next few months?

A lot of people seem to recommend eastport, what is your take on this?

Last edited:

Valproate

Reaction score
I got the Allen Edmonds Harbour boat shoe. Very comfortable, better support than Sperry, and I like the blue and gold finishing.

It's on clearance currently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads