• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the ebst way to balance out my calves and arms?

Joe2758

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just realized my arms are 15" and my calves are 14"
facepalm.gif
. Last time I measured there was only a half inch difference. I train calves once a week and arms once a week. I don't k now if I should back off my arm training, or start doing calves twice a week, or both. Anyway, I want to fix this as soon as possible. Any tips on on calf training in general would be appreciated. I usually do 4 sets of standing calf raises in 6-8 rep range, 4 sets seated calf raises 10-15 rep range. 2 sets of toe raises for anterior leg, and 2 burn out sets with no weight. Anyway, I really want my calves to pass my arms in size. thanks

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much weight are you using for the standing raises?

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to win Mr. Olympia? Then try not to give a **** about the balance bewteen calves/ arms. Surely there is something more important you could be focusing on.

hastur

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
Are you trying to win Mr. Olympia? Then try not to give a **** about the balance bewteen calves/ arms. Surely there is something more important you could be focusing on.

It's obviously important to him, since he posted the thread.

OP, look up "DC Calves" (DC standing for Dogcrapp) and you should find some good information on a different way to train them that might stimulate the kind of growth you're looking for. Also you should try hitting them twice a week instead of just once.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are not using enough weight. Increase the reps as well, 12-15. Make sure to raise your heel as high off the ground as you can (think "ballet dancer").

The seated calf raise is only moderately useful. The weightless "burnout" sets are completely useless. You can also try single leg standing raises.

If you want to build lots of calf/hamstring power, 150-200 meter sprints using just the forefoot will also work.

Jsquxe

Reaction score
I'll trade u some calf muscle if u take some calf and thigh fat also

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe2758
Hey guys. I just realized my arms are 15" and my calves are 14"
facepalm.gif
. Last time I measured there was only a half inch difference. I train calves once a week and arms once a week. I don't k now if I should back off my arm training, or start doing calves twice a week, or both. Anyway, I want to fix this as soon as possible. Any tips on on calf training in general would be appreciated. I usually do 4 sets of standing calf raises in 6-8 rep range, 4 sets seated calf raises 10-15 rep range. 2 sets of toe raises for anterior leg, and 2 burn out sets with no weight. Anyway, I really want my calves to pass my arms in size. thanks

I heard that calves are one of the muscle groups in which there is far more type one muscle than type 2, therefore you need to train them in higher rep/lower weight stuff. Kinda makes sense when you see that cyclists generally have huge calves.

I'm really no expert, but i'd recommend doing some short, steep hill running or cycling.

Joe2758

Reaction score
thanks guys, i will look into all your suggestions...except the ugg boots and ed hardy t-shirts......
spam[1].gif

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HIIT or hop on a bike and crank up the resistance.

I am assuming your are talking about calves and forearms, right? You're calves will never get as big as your bi/tricep area.

Surely you are the only one who will notice any size or proportion discrepancy and, unless you are competing against Jay Cutler it doesn't matter. Just lift, eat, move and the rest will fall in to place. Seriously, you don't want to head down the body dismorphia road

bwong337

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
HIIT or hop on a bike and crank up the resistance. I am assuming your are talking about calves and forearms, right? You're calves will never get as big as your bi/tricep area.
Not true for me. My upper arms are tiny at 13.75in, while my calves are over 16in. It's a matter of genetics.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bwong337
False. My upper arms are tiny at 13.75in, while my calves are over 16in. It's a matter of genetics.

wow interesting proportions you have. I stand corrected and should modify my post to clarify that I was speaking in terms of weight training / body building.

curious: what are your chest, waist and thigh measurements?

sbbbjm

Reaction score
'f calves! i used to blast them all the time with every different workout in the world, and cycling, something that i actually loved doing, is what got them to be not as puny as they once were.

i really think a lot of it has to do with genetics. some people were just born with more muscle there than others, so there's less work to do. my cousins have the calves of an action figure, and they don't even work them out specifically or cycle.

that being said though, i'm older and care less and am grateful for the things i do have . . . like a luscious hair line, being 6ft tall, a chiseled jawline and cheek bones that people pay thousands for to get with fillers -- well maybe not the last 2, but you get my drift.

bwong337

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J'aimelescravates
wow interesting proportions you have. I stand corrected and should modify my post to clarify that I was speaking in terms of weight training / body building.

curious: what are your chest, waist and thigh measurements?

I've been on starting strength for about two months now:

Chest is ~39, waist is ~34 relaxed, 31 flexed, thigh is 24ish.
5'9 170lbs

My lift numbers are all screwed up.
my current max for 3x5:

Squat: 180
DL: 215
Bench: 100
Power Cleans: 100
OHP: 75
Pull ups: 1 if fresh.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads