• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the difference between steaming, ironing and pressing?

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steaming is basically blowing steam on/at a garment for the purpose of removing wrinkles.
Ironing is basically rubbing an iron across a garment for the purpose of removing wrinkles.
Pressing is doing it right.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
So you're saying I can use a steam iron to do all 3? I must be doing my ironing wrong because I iron AND press the steam button at the same time; I assume this is a no no as in if using a steam iron, the actual iron should never make contact with the garment when "steaming"?

Correct, steaming is the application of steam without any other contact with the material. Pressing is placing the iron onto the fabric and applying pressure, without moving it across and material and with or without steam. Ironing is moving the iron across the fabric, with or without the addition of steam. Ironing is what is done to shirts. Pressing is what is done to suits. A suit should never be ironed, as it can stretch or shine the fabric.

merkur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

calvinloke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Correct, steaming is the application of steam without any other contact with the material. Pressing is placing the iron onto the fabric and applying pressure, without moving it across and material and with or without steam. Ironing is moving the iron across the fabric, with or without the addition of steam.

Ironing is what is done to shirts. Pressing is what is done to suits. A suit should never be ironed, as it can stretch or shine the fabric.

I did this and my jacket end up with a huge iron mark. Is there a trick to doing it correctly?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use a pressing cloth. I always saw my mom do it with a modified pillowcase and a bowl of water. She would dampen the cloth then place it on top of whatever she was pressing. Then put the iron on that.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you use a steam iron. place a press cloth on the garment. hit the steam button two seconds then continue to press dry until the has dried out, or use a half wet sponge to wet the press cloth.

do you want a proper press cloth.
go to a local fabric store and buy one yard of 100% cotton "drill".
toss it in the washing machine with the laundry.
then cut a strip 12" wide the full yard length, this will help crease the longest trouser.
cut the rest in smaller pieces and you will have a life time supply of press cloth.
for only about 4 or 5 bucks.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea. Beats cutting up pillowcases

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 16 3.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 78 16.8%
  • 11 - 20