• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between sport coat...

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen(and Gentleladies),

What exactly are the differences between a sport coat and a suit coat?
I 've heard it said on this forum that the aforementioned is Taboo? Why?
Best regards,
DLS

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Simple. A sport coat is a jacket meant to be worn without matching trousers. They oftentimes (but not always) have details that make them, well, sporty looking such as leather elbow patches, thick "football" buttons, patch pockets, and a throat latch (a tab for closing the top of the jacket for cold weather). Of course, some casual suits such as corduroy or tweed might have these features too. The name is because such jackets used to be (and still are by some people) used for hunting or horseback, hence the need for some of those more functional features. I don't know if suit coats are necessarily taboo to wear alone, but a lot of them don't always look right that way either. A good example is pinstripe. Something like navy worsted or earth colour tweed/corduroy could probably do double duty just fine though. Checks or windowpane are pretty well accepted since those are common patterns on sport coats. Hope this helps.
smile.gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably breaking all sorts of taboos, but I regularly wear a navy suit coat in place of a blazer.

I bought a navy Barbera suit on eBay, and found that the pants were way too small in the waist. It was a steal, so I decided to diet my way into them (I'm half-way there) rather than flip them. In the meantime, the coat, which fits fine, works great on casual Fridays with some beige slacks or whatever.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Like I said, I think it's okay if you don't have brass buttons on a navy jacket. It seems to fit the role just fine from all I've seen.

SieurDeLaSalle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Simple. A sport coat is a jacket meant to be worn without matching trousers. They oftentimes (but not always) have details that make them, well, sporty looking such as leather elbow patches, thick "football" buttons, patch pockets, and a throat latch (a tab for closing the top of the jacket for cold weather). Of course, some casual suits such as corduroy or tweed might have these features too. The name is because such jackets used to be (and still are by some people) used for hunting or horseback, hence the need for some of those more functional features.

I don't know if suit coats are necessarily taboo to wear alone, but a lot of them don't always look right that way either. A good example is pinstripe. Something like navy worsted or earth colour tweed/corduroy could probably do double duty just fine though. Checks or windowpane are pretty well accepted since those are common patterns on sport coats.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Thanks... I was a little apprehensive as someone had mentioned it being a "Critical Infraction" lol.

What your saying is, "Use reasonable Care" and it works!

Thanks,
DLS

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Like I said, I think it's okay if you don't have brass buttons on a navy jacket. It seems to fit the role just fine from all I've seen.
I don't go for the brass buttons thing at all. It makes me feel like Thurston Howell III.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me too.

I'd also like to point out that only at SF do we have people who diet to fit into their suits!

mendel

Reaction score
There are differences in the cut of a suit jacket and a sportcoat or blazer. The length is usually the giveaway for me that someone's pressing a suit jacket into use as a sportcoat. Doubly so if they're doing it with jeans, where you'd expect an even shorter blazer.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the cut of the two has usually been the same, as has the length. However, if a suit had a very long jacket (like some Armani suits did at one time, and may still do), that fact would make it a bad candidate for use as a sports jacket. And pockets that you'd find on a suit--whether flap or besom--wouldn't rule it out for use as a sports jacket, as you see both frequently on the latter. There are other, more subtle, differences though, in addition to the buttons. Suits are often made of very fine, smooth worsted wool, and such a jacket would, in my opinion, look mismatched with odd trousers. Sports jackets are usually made with a somewhat coarser wool finish. Similarly, patterns on suits are usually more subdued than on sports jackets, and any suit jacket in a pinstripe or chalk stripe would be a very bad candidate for wearing with odd trousers. Perhaps the one place you might get away with this is using a plain navy suit jacket as a blazer or navy sports jacket (since it won't have the brass buttons often associated with navy blazers), particularly if the wool has some texture to it and isn't too fine and smooth.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
There are differences in the cut of a suit jacket and a sportcoat or blazer.

What brands are you basing this on? This hasn't been my experience at all.

The last time I tried on sport coats and suits at the same store, I was looking at Canalis and mainline Cornelianis, and those were cut exactly the same. Same shoulders, same length. The only real difference was the choice of material.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
There are differences in the cut of a suit jacket and a sportcoat or blazer. The length is usually the giveaway for me that someone's pressing a suit jacket into use as a sportcoat. Doubly so if they're doing it with jeans, where you'd expect an even shorter blazer.
I don`t think the differences you describe are universal. If there is a difference in cut (length, etc.) like you described, it would most likely be because you specified the different cut/length to your bespoke tailor.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Yeah, I have to agree with these gents. I don't notice much a difference in cut. Difference between brands, sure, but not much else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads