• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between pants/dress pants and trousers?

Izod32

Reaction score
I'm a jeans guy but i recently bought some button up shirts. I would like to wear these button up shirts with pants but i don't have anymore pants and they were either worn out or thrown away Of course i will be tucking in my shirt under these pants but would like to know where would be a good place to buy them and not being expensive. I'm not sure but what is the difference between say pants and trousers? Can you wear trousers as if they are like dress pants? Yes dress pants are for work but you can wear them going out correct?

I buy clothes from banana republic and express and most of my wardrobe consist of that. But it seems express doesn't have any good pants to wear with the button up t shirts tucked into the shirt. Their prices are really good for me because its not expensive. Can somene recommend me a place to buy some pants/dress pants/trousers? Also, what fabric should i get and avoid. What about the color? I read online that you only need 2 colors and that was gray and black.

I see that banana republic seem to charge a lot for their pants even though i heard the quality isn't that good as others. Thank you.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trousers can be pants and slacks. If you are speaking English in Great Britain, you'd say trousers instead of pants/slacks. If you are speaking English in America you'd say pants or slacks. Pants may mean underwear in Great Britain, and slacks is a word that some Brits cringe at hearing, for it is an Americanism. This is what I have gleaned, but not sure.

But typically I find that by slacks, Americans mean something "dressier" you can wear with a dress shirt and tie for the typical office worker or for going to church or the like. Pants typically mean anything other than slacks described as such or jeans. So khakis, chinos would be pants.

This is my approximation.

Izod32

Reaction score
Thank you to both of you.

Can you fellas recommend me some good pants then? The maximum i would want to spend on a pair is about $80.

Thanks.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing. They are simply different terms used in different countries to describe te same thing.

Each comes in different varieties and some sub descriptions also exist - eg 'flannels'. They are trousers made out of a specific cloth but are trousers nonetheless.

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
If you are speaking English in Great Britain, you'd say trousers instead of pants/slacks. If you are speaking English in America you'd say pants or slacks. Pants may mean underwear in Great Britain, and slacks is a word that some Brits cringe at hearing, for it is an Americanism. This is what I have gleaned, but not sure. This is my approximation.
Your approximation is spot on, good sir.

Simplicio

Reaction score
The only additional twist is that there are now American retailers who like to say "trousers" instead of "pants" or "slacks" because they think that it makes their product sound classier. Its very similar to the way that suspenders were re-marketed to Americans as "braces." It is effective because so many Americans are either insecure or don't know any better.

dasai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
Would you guys say Express pants are okay? I think the material is cotton and i heard wool is the preferred choice?

http://www.express.com/stretch-cotto...saa=*&Mrsavf=*

http://www.express.com/stretch-cotto...saa=*&Mrsavf=*

Cotton is usually meant for casual trousers, generally in a durable twill weave known as "duck" or "chino" (which is what the pants you posted appear to be), or else the winter staples of corduroy and moleskin. They can be made up in traditional style or in a jeans pattern, with the former being dressier than the latter. (We shall assume, since you're posting in MC, that cargo pants are right out.)

Certainly, plenty of people wear chinos in "dressy" situations, but they tend to do so in combinations (say, with a blazer) where dress trousers really would look nicer. They're fine for a more casual look, though, as long as that's what you're going for. Moleskins and corduroys in particular go great with tweed jackets and sweaters in the winter.

Vecna

Reaction score
This is simply my experience in New York, but perhaps it will be enlightening.

Pants are essentially anything that has pant legs. It must generally be thicker and/or looser than tights or spandex. Jeans, dress pants, chinos are all pants. If someone I know says "trousers" they probably mean dress pants (though this word is essentially never heard). If someone says slacks, in my experience they usually mean khakis or chinos, unless they say "dress slacks" which refers to dress pants.

This may be completely regional, It gets a bit confusing.

Guero

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simplicio
The only additional twist is that there are now American retailers who like to say "trousers" instead of "pants" or "slacks" because they think that it makes their product sound classier. Its very similar to the way that suspenders were re-marketed to Americans as "braces." It is effective because so many Americans are either insecure or don't know any better.

facepalm.gif
This is a bit of a gratuitous swipe, no? Same point could have been made without the overly simplistic editorializing.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd say it's effective because "pants" is a funny word, whereas "trousers" is context-dependent funny.

Simplicio

Reaction score

Originally Posted by Guero
facepalm.gif
This is a bit of a gratuitous swipe, no? Same point could have been made without the overly simplistic editorializing.

But the "editorializing" is my point. Disagree if you like, but I don't think its unreasonable or off-topic. I don't think I deserve a facepalm.

If it makes you feel any better, let me add that I am an American. I just live in England.

Izod32

Reaction score
Would you guys say those express pants are okay?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads