• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between pants/dress pants and trousers?

harry2quinn

Reaction score
If you're looking under $80 retail, I think H&M is better value for money than Express or BR. You can frequently get 100% wool H&M pants for around $50. Just don't expect premium quality and longevity.

Izod32

Reaction score
Thanks. Wool is preferred than cotton correct? Can wool be worn in all occassions?

Thank you.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
Would you guys say those express pants are okay?

No, they are not ok. They are cheap, disposable garbage.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Izod32
Also, any thoughts about banana republic's pants? I noticed they are much more expensive than express. And is wool the preferred choice and cotton cheap?

I'm very new to this forum but I thought I'd throw in my $.02

I have two pair of Express pants and they fit "ok", two weeks ago I bought a pair of BR "classic fit" pants that are 97% wool and I love them. The retailed at $99 but I had a coupon making them $75.

My opinion, much better quality and fit than Express.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Banana Republic makes some okay trousers (pants, slacks) for, say, someone new to that style of dressing. I've always thought of BR trousers and dress shirts as "junior account manager" material, that is stuff that is of middling quality the relative cheapness of which is masked by trendy design and fabrics that appear nice but probably won't last very long.

In fact, I've long since graduated into stuff I personally think is of better quality but keep some of the BR stuff in the rotation because the cut is nice and it fits the bill when I'm going to a club and may well end up getting a drink spilled on me.

(Understand the guys on this board tend to be real connoisseurs. If they were car nuts they'd tell you not to get an Accord because it corners no where near as well as their M5. If they were coffee nuts they'd tell you any coffee maker under that $2,000 Italian number made by blind monks in a small village outside Trieste is garbage. Nothing wrong with that, except you need to know that what any of us say will be far more severe than what someone more laid back about these things may say.)

In my opinion, it's better to go to Saks Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack and get some good quality stuff at a steep discount than buy mediocre stuff at full retail. You might pay a little more, but you might pay a little less.

Generally speaking, wool is dressier than cotton. There are certain exceptions, but that's graduate level stuff. ;-) The occasions where simply wearing wool trousers would make you over dressed are few and far between. Washing the car comes to mind.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Banana Republic makes some okay trousers (pants, slacks) for, say, someone new to that style of dressing. I've always thought of BR trousers and dress shirts as "junior account manager" material, that is stuff that is of middling quality the relative cheapness of which is masked by trendy design and fabrics that appear nice but probably won't last very long.

In fact, I've long since graduated into stuff I personally think is of better quality but keep some of the BR stuff in the rotation because the cut is nice and it fits the bill when I'm going to a club and may well end up getting a drink spilled on me.

(Understand the guys on this board tend to be real connoisseurs. If they were car nuts they'd tell you not to get an Accord because it corners no where near as well as their M5. If they were coffee nuts they'd tell you any coffee maker under that $2,000 Italian number made by blind monks in a small village outside Trieste is garbage. Nothing wrong with that, except you need to know that what any of us say will be far more severe than what someone more laid back about these things may say.)

In my opinion, it's better to go to Saks Off Fifth or Nordstrom Rack and get some good quality stuff at a steep discount than buy mediocre stuff at full retail. You might pay a little more, but you might pay a little less.

Generally speaking, wool is dressier than cotton. There are certain exceptions, but that's graduate level stuff. ;-) The occasions where simply wearing wool trousers would make you over dressed are few and far between. Washing the car comes to mind.

Well said!!

I wish everyone on the forum could see things from multiple points of view like you just did...
worship.gif

Izod32

Reaction score
Thanks for that long explannation!

By the way, i want to just buy 2 pants. Would you suggest one cotton and one wool then? And what color would be the best? My thinking is get one in black and one in gray.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
women wear pants

men wear trousers

OP, get two trousers in colors different enough from each other. Meaning light grey and dark charcoal grey or a medium and a dark or a light and a medium so you get some variety of looks and uses from them. Get shades in brown if want to be more casual. Whatever you get, make sure it works with your coloring (skin tone) and the shirts and jackets you already have in your closet.
Better to find 300.00 trouser on sale for 100.00 than buy the 100.00 at retail. Try on as many as you can to see who cuts the best trouser that fits you with the least alterations needed.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you've kind of already decided to get two pairs to start. If it's true that at the moment you have absolutely no pants apart from jeans, then I'd recommend one pair in medium gray wool and one pair of cotton khakis in a durable twill. I don't think black is as versatile as those would be. At the retail price of the express pants you posted, you could get better value if, say, you waited until the Brooks Brothers after-Christmas sale. If I were you, I'd go in to BB, find some khakis you like, make sure a salesperson helps you get the right size, and buy them. Then use the measurements to find a pair of gray wool slacks (pants/trousers) in one of the places Sazerac mentioned or online--even in the B&S forum here, for instance.

Just my two cents, since you really seem to be looking for specifics.

Diedre

Reaction score
Simplico - that was a swipe at Americans & I simply don't believe you are American. I think you are just a bitter, anti American Brit or other whose hatred is based on envy & self pity....probably a lot of self-loathing as well.

To the gentleman with the pants problem. Go to Macy's. They will definitely have what you are looking for. I just got a nice pair of Kate Spade "work pants" for under $60 last night. Lined too.

Millerp

Reaction score
Hopefully the OP has had some pants to wear in the last five years. :)

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Retail under $300 = Pants
Retail over $301 = Trousers
YMMV

smile.gif
That reminds me of the old joke:

"What's the difference between a "vase" [veys] and a "vase" [vahz]?"

"About a hundred bucks."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads