• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earn a commission for the forum and allow us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the difference between Faille and Grosgrain?

scarsunseen

Reaction score
My tailor is having trouble finding silk grosgrain, so I thought I would do a search myself. One thing I noticed, though, is that the fabric sites that have a glossary of fabric types lists faille, but not grosgrain. Furthermore, they describe faille as having a ribbed texture, "like grosgrain ribbon." So are they the same thing, or are they just somewhat similar and grosgrain isn't listed on it's own because it isn't common?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They are similar weaves.

scarsunseen

Reaction score
but not interchangeable? If my tailor can't get grosgrain, faille wouldn't be a good substitute on a dinner jacket?

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The traditional alternative to grosgrain for the facings is satin. I have never heard of a plain faille weave being used.

The Holland and Sherry formal book has a grosgrain suitable for the facings of a dinner jacket. Try to see if you can't track it down. Most tailors carry H&S books. If you are really forced to you can get H&S cloths from HST in Singapore:

http://www.hst.com.sg/

However, you will need the cloth number to order through them.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scarsunseen
but not interchangeable? If my tailor can't get grosgrain, faille wouldn't be a good substitute on a dinner jacket?
It is unlikely that you would be able to see the difference from a distance. They are very similar. I have heard of gentlemen using faille silk as a substitute for grosgrain and being very happy. Sator's satin suggestion is a good one but it will yield a different alternative look. Using a faille weave is a substitute for grosgrain as they are so similar.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack this thread, in fact I'm hoping this question may shed some light on the OP's question. This picture shows two sets of braces. The BB, on the left, I believe to be grosgrain. I described the ones on the right as grosgrain as well despite the difference in the weave. Are the braces on the right, in fact, faille? Thanks for any thoughts.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the technical differences are, but grosgrain has deeper, more pronounced ridges than faille. Not difficult to tell apart if one knows, but most don't.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know faille as a cloth but not as a weave for trimmings. Isles textiles in NY has two grosgrains. One larger and one smaller ribbed grosgrain. Have your tailor contact them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What Is The Best Value Shoe Brand For Money?

• Meermin

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • TLB Mallorca

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Cheaney

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Carmina

Votes: 31 15.9%
  • Crockett & Jones

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 33.3%