• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between Denim and Chino?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I think this falls into the Justice Stewart's "I know it when I see it" definition.

This is actually what I was thinking, but I'm trying to write a guide helping people understand the difference, and it's hard to put into words.

Crazy guess, but are you a patent attorney by any chance? :)

... not no

But if you use “chino cloth” and make something else out of it (fatigues, let’s say) then you can’t say that would be chinos. It’s more than the cloth alone.

Meh. I've heard of a "chino suit." I think it' a clear and useful way to talk. It helps me get an idea of what the item is -- it's not denimmy twill, it's not sateen, it's not corduroy, it's not... there's a dozen cotton twills -- herringone, serge, gabardine...

Panama

Reaction score
I know. But if you're writing a guide you could just say "chinos are what normal people call khakis (regardless of color)"
Who calls a pair of trousers khakis? They are either chinos or cargos.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know tons of people who call chino's khakis. Now, they are often referring to khaki chinos, but sometimes olive chinos or ecru chinos etc, etc.

Panama

Reaction score
I know tons of people who call chino's khakis. Now, they are often referring to khaki chinos, but sometimes olive chinos or ecru chinos etc, etc.
Well you probably call trousers pants....

Panama

Reaction score
Depends who I'm talking to. My tailor? Trousers. Random person? Probably pants.

Whats your point?
You're one of these people from North America, that doesn't realise there's a world out there...

Panama

Reaction score
Orange is a fruit and the colour of the fruit. Orange trousers aren't Oranges...

Panama

Reaction score
Orange is a fruit and the colour of the fruit. Orange trousers aren't Oranges...
Or Olive is a fruit. Olive is the colour of unripe Olives.
Olive chinos are not Olives...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're one of these people from North America, that doesn't realise there's a world out there...

I am from North America. If I remember correctly you're a Brit.

In my everyday life, when I write emails, should ask what colour I should wear to the theatre? Or would that just be out of touch w/ where I'm from?

Your "doesn't realize there's a world out there..." is just being a needless ass.

Doesn't this comment show a lack of realization of how people not from their corner speak?

Panama

Reaction score
I am from North America. If I remember correctly you're a Brit.

In my everyday life, when I write emails, should ask what colour I should wear to the theatre? Or would that just be out of touch w/ where I'm from?

Your "doesn't realize there's a world out there..." is just being a needless ass.

Doesn't this comment show a lack of realization of how people not from their corner speak?
Realisation?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eye roll.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads