• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between Denim and Chino?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
They're both cotton twills, but they definitely tend to feel different. I know that Denim is, formally, a warp faced 2:1 or 3:1 cotton twill with an indigo warp and white weft, but that doesn't explain the way in which Chino is airy, and sometimes sort of waxy-ish... Is chino cotton treated in some way? Is chino a denser or looser weave? What's the difference?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score

That doesn't really explain the difference. It says chino cloth is a wide category of cotton twills, but nobody says that denim is a type of chino. And while I've felt a very wide variety of chino fabrics and denim fabrics, they've always been distinct, they never feel the same. What causes that difference?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That doesn't really explain the difference. It says chino cloth is a wide category of cotton twills, but nobody says that denim is a type of chino. And while I've felt a very wide variety of chino fabrics and denim fabrics, they've always been distinct, they never feel the same. What causes that difference?

I think the point is that “chino” isn’t a specific cloth. That’s why it doesn’t feel the same.

Why would anyone call denim chino? Denim is denim. There’s no need to overcomplicate it

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I think the point is that “chino” isn’t a specific cloth. That’s why it doesn’t feel the same.

"Food" isn't a specific kind of food, but food is sometimes the same as pasta.

If "chino" is just any cotton twill, then denim would be a type of chino, and chino would, in some cases, feel like denim, becaue denim feels like denim..

Also, denim isn't just 3:1 twills, but also 2:1. In a variety of weights and densities with a variety of treatments.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Food" isn't a specific kind of food, but food is sometimes the same as pasta.

If "chino" is just any cotton twill, then denim would be a type of chino, and chino would, in some cases, feel like denim, becaue denim feels like denim..

Also, denim isn't just 3:1 twills, but also 2:1. In a variety of weights and densities with a variety of treatments.

Idk. The article I linked is plenty informative for me. I don’t need more

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because a square is technically a rectangle also doesn’t mean you’d ever say “rectangle” when you see “square”

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Just because a square is technically a rectangle also doesn’t mean you’d ever say “rectangle” when you see “square”

Well, depending on context, you might, but more importantly, you'd never see a square and say "that's not a rectangle." If somebody referred to my jeans as chinos, that would be *incorrect*.

On top of that, things like black "denim" and green "denim" aren't denim, because they're not made with indigo warps and white wefts, but there are still people who call them denim, and people *don't* usually call those garments chinos -- there's a distinct feel. And again, "denim" covers multiple twill weaves and a few different treatments.

So even if we were to ay "chino is any cotton twill that isn't denim," we'd have these odd corner cases of colored "denim" twills.

Is there a specific subset of twill weaves that are chino cloth?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So even if we were to ay "chino is any cotton twill that isn't denim," we'd have these odd corner cases of colored "denim" twills.

You could also have fatigue pants made out of cotton twill. I would not call those “chinos”.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that chinos are a type of garment, not a fabric. Just as “jeans” (the garment) are made of “denim” (a fabric), “chinos” are made of various cotton twill fabrics.

Denim is a specific subset of cotton twill fabric. Besides the weave (right hand twill, left hand twill, broken twill) and the different warp and weft colors, denim yarn seems to me to generally be coarser/thicker than yarn used in twills meant for chinos. The woven cloth can also be treated in different ways that change texture, etc.

notdos

Reaction score
A Google search says:

Different types of fabric are used in jeans and chinos. Jeans, by definition, are made of denim, whereas chinos are made of chino cloth. The denim used to make jeans is a type of warp-faced cotton that's woven to create diagonal ribbing. In comparison, chino cloth is a type of cotton with twill-style weaving.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about something like what Epaulet sells…cotton/wool blend chinos. I think they’re absolutely chinos even though they aren’t cotton twill. What else would you call them?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
My understanding is that chinos are a type of garment, not a fabric. Just as “jeans” (the garment) are made of “denim” (a fabric), “chinos” are made of various cotton twill fabrics.

Denim is a specific subset of cotton twill fabric. Besides the weave (right hand twill, left hand twill, broken twill) and the different warp and weft colors, denim yarn seems to me to generally be coarser/thicker than yarn used in twills meant for chinos. The woven cloth can also be treated in different ways that change texture, etc.

So Chino cloth is just a hard-to-define subset of cotton twills that aren't denim? I guess this makes as much sense as anything.

A Google search says:

Different types of fabric are used in jeans and chinos. Jeans, by definition, are made of denim, whereas chinos are made of chino cloth. The denim used to make jeans is a type of warp-faced cotton that's woven to create diagonal ribbing. In comparison, chino cloth is a type of cotton with twill-style weaving.

Lol. I know what jeans and chinos are. I was asking the difference between denim and chino. They're both cotton twills. Denim is a 3:1 or 2:1 warp-faced cotton twill with indigo warps and a white weft. Chino cloth and denim are different. How would we define chino cloth in a way that shows that denim is not a type of chino cloth, but a distinct fabric?

What about something like what Epaulet sells…cotton/wool blend chinos. I think they’re absolutely chinos even though they aren’t cotton twill. What else would you call them?

Pants. I mean, I don't want to be too pedantic, they can call them whatever they want, but if you want to be technical, naw, they're not chinos.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think this falls into the Justice Stewart's "I know it when I see it" definition. As a consumer and not a fabric maker, I can tell the difference between cotton twill fabric meant for chinos and denim. I'm sure you can too. It's not hard. But I doubt many could explain exactly how these yarns and fabrics are manufactured and treated to make them so different to the eye and to the touch. Cotton twill intended for dressier chinos, for example, is treated to be smoother and more lustrous. But I couldn't explain to you exactly how that is done.

How would we define chino cloth in a way that shows that denim is not a type of chino cloth, but a distinct fabric?

Crazy guess, but are you a patent attorney by any chance? :)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But if you use “chino cloth” and make something else out of it (fatigues, let’s say) then you can’t say that would be chinos. It’s more than the cloth alone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads