• We are thrilled to welcome Capra Leather to the Styleforum family of official Affiliate Vendors.They are a hand crafted, made to order leather goods family company. Their products have unique designs with a aesthetic that blend minimalism, tradition and functionality. Focused on sustainability they offer a lifetime warranty on every piece.

Give Capra a warm welcome on their Official Affiliate Thread

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the difference between Denim and Chino?

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
I think this falls into the Justice Stewart's "I know it when I see it" definition.
This is actually what I was thinking, but I'm trying to write a guide helping people understand the difference, and it's hard to put into words.

Crazy guess, but are you a patent attorney by any chance? :)
... not no

But if you use “chino cloth” and make something else out of it (fatigues, let’s say) then you can’t say that would be chinos. It’s more than the cloth alone.
Meh. I've heard of a "chino suit." I think it' a clear and useful way to talk. It helps me get an idea of what the item is -- it's not denimmy twill, it's not sateen, it's not corduroy, it's not... there's a dozen cotton twills -- herringone, serge, gabardine...

Panama

Reaction score
I know. But if you're writing a guide you could just say "chinos are what normal people call khakis (regardless of color)"
Who calls a pair of trousers khakis? They are either chinos or cargos.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know tons of people who call chino's khakis. Now, they are often referring to khaki chinos, but sometimes olive chinos or ecru chinos etc, etc.

Panama

Reaction score
I know tons of people who call chino's khakis. Now, they are often referring to khaki chinos, but sometimes olive chinos or ecru chinos etc, etc.
Well you probably call trousers pants....

Panama

Reaction score
Depends who I'm talking to. My tailor? Trousers. Random person? Probably pants.

Whats your point?
You're one of these people from North America, that doesn't realise there's a world out there...

Panama

Reaction score
Orange is a fruit and the colour of the fruit. Orange trousers aren't Oranges...

Panama

Reaction score
Orange is a fruit and the colour of the fruit. Orange trousers aren't Oranges...
Or Olive is a fruit. Olive is the colour of unripe Olives.
Olive chinos are not Olives...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're one of these people from North America, that doesn't realise there's a world out there...
I am from North America. If I remember correctly you're a Brit.

In my everyday life, when I write emails, should ask what colour I should wear to the theatre? Or would that just be out of touch w/ where I'm from?

Your "doesn't realize there's a world out there..." is just being a needless ass.

Doesn't this comment show a lack of realization of how people not from their corner speak?

Panama

Reaction score
I am from North America. If I remember correctly you're a Brit.

In my everyday life, when I write emails, should ask what colour I should wear to the theatre? Or would that just be out of touch w/ where I'm from?

Your "doesn't realize there's a world out there..." is just being a needless ass.

Doesn't this comment show a lack of realization of how people not from their corner speak?
Realisation?

Featured Sponsor

What time of the year do you spend the most money on clothes?

• Spring

• Summer

• Fall

• Winter

• No difference

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr.DealSeeker