• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between a Sport Coat and an Outerwear Jacket

tsmurfenator

Reaction score
Recently I realized that I am a bit confused about how a sport coat should be worn - what is it really for, and what is it's relationship to an outerwear jacket.

Is a Sport Coat an indoor garment, or an outdoor garment? That is, is the normal use of a sport coat to protect oneself from the elements while outside (and take off once coming inside), or is it more of a decorative and non-functional garment which would be left on when coming in.

It seems to me that a Sport Coat would serve as a great "light outerwear jacket", i.e. in spring/fall in the harsher climates, or in the winter in the milder climates. There really are not that many types of lightweight men's jacket styles which are reasonably dressy, (usually things like overcoats are a lot more heavy), I can hardly think of any type of jacket besides a sport coat which is nice enough to wear with a nice shirt & pants.

So is it correct that Sport Coats be thought of as outerwear?
Is it reasonable to wear them for this purpose?
Are there any characteristics of a Spot Coat which would make it more amenable to being worn as outerwear than another Sport Coat?
Is there any difference in construction in what would normally be considered an outerwear jacket, vs. a Sport Coat?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A sport jacket is something that you wear indoors and outdoors.

You're thinking of the term "outerwear" to mean something worn "outside." Think, instead, of the term outerwear to mean outermost layer. When it rains, you wear a raincoat over your jacket. When it's cold, you wear a coat over your sport jacket.

So, it is just common sense. The more substantial the fabric of a sport coat, the less clement the weather in which you can eschew a coat.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's both. I don't see why you think that in- and outdoor wear must be mutually exclusive.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a time a man wasn't seen in public without a jacket.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsmurfenator
Recently I realized that I am a bit confused about how a sport coat should be worn - what is it really for, and what is it's relationship to an outerwear jacket.

Is a Sport Coat an indoor garment, or an outdoor garment? That is, is the normal use of a sport coat to protect oneself from the elements while outside (and take off once coming inside), or is it more of a decorative and non-functional garment which would be left on when coming in.

It seems to me that a Sport Coat would serve as a great "light outerwear jacket", i.e. in spring/fall in the harsher climates, or in the winter in the milder climates. There really are not that many types of lightweight men's jacket styles which are reasonably dressy, (usually things like overcoats are a lot more heavy), I can hardly think of any type of jacket besides a sport coat which is nice enough to wear with a nice shirt & pants.

So is it correct that Sport Coats be thought of as outerwear?
Is it reasonable to wear them for this purpose?
Are there any characteristics of a Spot Coat which would make it more amenable to being worn as outerwear than another Sport Coat?
Is there any difference in construction in what would normally be considered an outerwear jacket, vs. a Sport Coat?

What makes you think you think that there aren't many types of lightweight men's jackets that are reasonably dressy? Tropical wool, linen, seersucker, etc. are all very common to wear in hotter climates.

I understand your question though, a lot of the general public (i.e. those who are not concerned with dressing well) will wear a sport coat as their "coat" or "jacket" and remove it inside. That is not it's intended function. It is meant to be worn indoors and out, all day as part of your outfit until you need to change it.

Even if it were supposed to be removed, there is hardly any places that still have coat/hat racks to hang them. So, keep your coat on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads