What is the difference between 40R and 40L

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by intlnews, Jan 1, 2011.

1. intlnews

intlnews Well-Known Member

I am normally a 40R, but BB has a deal on a 40L. Can I pull it off, or would it be a waste of time?

2. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Jacket is cut longer(L)....it would not look good.

3. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

My experience - time waste

I wear 40S but have tried 38L and 40R when 40S was not available

4. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

If you find that 40R jackets are significantly too short in the body and sleeves, 40L might be for you.
    Otherwise waste of time.

5. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

I've been tempted to buy 40L suits myself sight unseen when the price was too good; never did: the jacket was too long, so the proportions were off=looked like sheet

6. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Different models of suit will have different variations between their regular and long sizes. Some will be less than an inch, others will be closer to two inches. And just because you are a regular or long in one model of a particular brand's suits doesn't mean you'll be the same in another.

If, for example, you wear a 40R in BB's Fitzgerald, you might be able to pull off a 40L in their Milano, as it's a trimmer cut all around. Is this suit the same cut you usually buy?

I wear a 40R and a 40L in certain makes/cuts interchangeably. For Ralph Lauren's Black Label suits, I'll take either, since there's only about a .75'' difference in lengths. I could never wear a long in most of the Polo Ralph Lauren jackets. Same thing with Zegna: I can do either a regular or long in their Milano cut, but in the Roma I have to have a regular and a long looks silly on me.

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Lets not forget the pants are cut on a much higher rise too, if I am not mistaken.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

About an inch and a quarter, on average.

9. DStew

DStew Well-Known Member

I am normally a 40R, but BB has a deal on a 40L. Can I pull it off, or would it be a waste of time?
    I've been tempted to buy 40L suits myself sight unseen when the price was too good; never did: the jacket was too long, so the proportions were off=looked like sheet
    Do you guys routinely find good deals on 40L's? I am the opposite (a definite 40L and not 40R) and I have a bitch of a time finding 40L at most places much less finding them discounted.

10. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Do NOT do it. It will not fit unless you plan to grow a few inches in height.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ I have successfully taken up 40L's to 40R's.

12. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Do you guys routinely find good deals on 40L's? I am the opposite (a definite 40L and not 40R) and I have a bitch of a time finding 40L at most places much less finding them discounted.

Seconded; I have tried to rationalize that a 40R on ridiculously cheap items is acceptable, which it never is. I'm 6'4", so it can look comical at times.

13. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

^ I have successfully taken up 40L's to 40R's.

show us pics and we will be the judges of 'success' [​IMG]

14. SpooPoker

show us pics and we will be the judges of 'success' [​IMG]
    Both were taken up 1.25", and are tagged 40L. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Tom Ford?
    Looks good overall, especially the pockets don't seem too low as I had feared.
    The waist button on the striped number looks relatively (too) low, the grey one looks better in this regard. Though it could be an optical illusion I guess. Do they measure the same?