• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
praying to gigantic stone owl seems like a mystery cult to me :) what's a bog dance ?

Whatever I imagine the ancient Celts doing before they dumped their criminals and village madmen into bogs to appease the gods. We're still digging up the bodies. We preserve quite well in peat, apparently. Like pickles.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever I imagine the ancient Celts doing before they dumped their criminals and village madmen into bogs to appease the gods. We're still digging up the bodies. We preserve quite well in peat, apparently. Like pickles.
holy moly that's intense

Edward_2621

Reaction score
I am curious. What is it about the silk scarves on Kirby's site that make them worthy of their $500 price tag? Again, simply curious as there is scant information on the site.

RTL212

Reaction score
Well, I mean, it's certainly strange that he'd be selling it more than him. But it is not at all uncommon for retail stores to sell higher than what the company would sell it for directly, as that is part of a being a business that isn't an actual creator of the stuff they're selling.

Still, yes, Kirby occasionally has horrendous prices. I personally do not shop from him because his prices are too off, but I do think he does a great job on instructional videos.

Gotta pay for the 15 pairs of Bespoke shoes from John Lobb somehow?
He doesn't pay for his John Lobbs...or for anything. That's part of the gig: he gives the vendor free exposure in exchange for free stuff. His whole wardrobe is free, even many of his cigars.

RTL212

Reaction score
I am curious. What is it about the silk scarves on Kirby's site that make them worthy of their $500 price tag? Again, simply curious as there is scant information on the site.
His prices are irrelevant to me since his ties are dog ugly. I only wear Hermes ties, they are interesting, varied and fun. Allison's are old man ties.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesn't pay for his John Lobbs...or for anything. That's part of the gig: he gives the vendor free exposure in exchange for free stuff. His whole wardrobe is free, even many of his cigars.
Not true. He does pay for some stuff. I remember he made a comment on how expensive his gatorskin Cleverly loafers were.

TomTom

Reaction score
Look, I kind of like content as he showcased the best of what London has to offer and I know most locations where he like s to film I know the stuff he advertises costs more that I will ever be able to afford but at least he makes nice videos. Plus I prefer JJ Fox cigar store to Davidoff . Better atmosphere and not as poncy .

Harwid

Reaction score
His prices are irrelevant to me since his ties are dog ugly. I only wear Hermes ties, they are interesting, varied and fun. Allison's are old man ties.

I looked at the Hermes ties and didn’t see any I would wear.

Jeff

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked at the Hermes ties and didn’t see any I would wear.

Jeff
I'm not a big fan of the current batch of Hermes ties. I think they're all 8cm when I prefer the 9cm width.

Cliffnopus

Reaction score
Why all this discussion about his wares and/or prices. As a consumer, it's our 'job' to purchase what we want at the best price. If his prices are high/unreasonable - don't buy from him. Go on to the next vendor. Unless you want to give him 27 pages of advertising.

DaAlSh

Reaction score
I know for a fact he pays Kent Haste for his suits, etc. Can't comment on anything else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads