• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, as @JFWR said, it's more of an aristocracy with the senate. I was loosely using oligarchy to refer to a 'rule by few,' whether chosen on the basis of nobility, wealth, intellect, etc. At the same time, we do have something of an aristocratic class in Canada - pretty much the same as the UK.

I suppose I just see a real democracy as having more of a voice for citizens as a whole; arguably there are no real democracies around today, since Athenian democracy was much more limited in terms of who counted as a citizen, and even then there was concern over mob-style populism in the city-states. Think of what Plato would say about modern democracies, where anyone with a pulse can vote.

The trouble is that nowadays 'democracy' has no meaning, politically. It's a buzzword people throw around to mean 'good,' and it's opposite is something like 'fascism,' which is 'bad.' Very few people know what these things even are. Even fewer know what a state is, or why some monarchies offer more freedoms than some democracies, etc.

Very true. Democracy now doesn't even mean democracy--i.e. rule by the people--but simply is used to mean "good". This is very silly.

That being said, even Canada which -does- have elements of monarchy and aristocracy to an extent the US does not, is still meaningfully democratic in a large portion of its governance. In fact, this is something close to the political ideal in many older political philosophers, who advocate for this balance of monarchy-aristocracy-democracy.

I definitely don't think it is a bad thing that a society has a more limited role for democracy inherently. It can be bad, but it isn't NECESSARILY bad.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very true. Democracy now doesn't even mean democracy--i.e. rule by the people--but simply is used to mean "good". This is very silly.

That being said, even Canada which -does- have elements of monarchy and aristocracy to an extent the US does not, is still meaningfully democratic in a large portion of its governance. In fact, this is something close to the political ideal in many older political philosophers, who advocate for this balance of monarchy-aristocracy-democracy.

I definitely don't think it is a bad thing that a society has a more limited role for democracy inherently. It can be bad, but it isn't NECESSARILY bad.

Oh, definitely. The ideal would be a balance between all three facets, in my opinion. There ought to be checks to going too far in one direction, since there are all kinds of abuses of democracy which is tantamount to mob rule, or in aristocracy/elitist governance which turns into despotism, etc.

I think the type of parliamentary government which we currently have is pretty close, but we live in a time where people are more interested in catch-phrases than history, so who knows what the future might bring. I'm just a staunch individualist - first and foremost. Anything which promises betterment through collectivism of any kind, one way or the other, is something from which I cannot run away fast enough.

This is why I choose my own ties - everyone else may keep theirs, sovereign or otherwise.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of James Bond, I think Pierce Brosnan had the best ties by far - just throwing that into the mix.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, definitely. The ideal would be a balance between all three facets, in my opinion. There ought to be checks to going too far in one direction, since there are all kinds of abuses of democracy which is tantamount to mob rule, or in aristocracy/elitist governance which turns into despotism, etc.

I think the type of parliamentary government which we currently have is pretty close, but we live in a time where people are more interested in catch-phrases than history, so who knows what the future might bring. I'm just a staunch individualist - first and foremost. Anything which promises betterment through collectivism of any kind, one way or the other, is something from which I cannot run away fast enough.

This is why I choose my own ties - everyone else may keep theirs, sovereign or otherwise.

The US has a nice balance as well, but it used to have a better balance when the senate was more aristocratic, or representative of the state voice, rather than another popular form of government. Our proper aristocracy at this point in terms of government is our supreme court, and it is becoming worrisome how so often SCOTUS is pretty much the only way things get done now, which defeats the purpose of having popular legislatures and executives.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
This is the weirdest damn thread, which I say even in light of my concept of weird having been reset by watching some Guy Maddin films.

Nevertheless, I believe that it has been determined that Kirby Allison's business model, the ideal form of government and the height of stylish dress is the RAND corporation, in conjunction with the Saucer People, under the supervision of the reverse vampires are engaging in a fiendish plot to obtain abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

We're through the looking glass here, people.

The lap.

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ironically enough, Manton did write a menswear book modeled on once the most famous political works in history.

So there is a relationship between the two topics.

BPL Esq

Reaction score
We can probably discuss menswear, Mr. Allison's business model, and the optimum form of government without spewing unnecessary vitriol directed toward tens of millions of our countrymen.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We can probably discuss menswear, Mr. Allison's business model, and the optimum form of government without spewing unnecessary vitriol directed toward tens of millions of our countrymen.

In fact, we can put it into a simple phrase: formal shipment delays of tyranny.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
The term "aristocracy" would probably be better, or "timocracy". The Canadian citizens chosen as senators are respectable, wealthy people who are held to have a certain degree of wisdom and sagacity. This matches Aristotle's vision of aristocracy or Plato's conception of timocracy.

I played a lot of pool in college, and in our pool room making a particularly difficult bank or combo was known as sinking a “tîmê shot”.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y'all are weird and borderline creepy..........I feel like I've witnessed a horrific cult ceremony which I cannot unsee :(

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the subject of James Bond, I think Pierce Brosnan had the best ties by far - just throwing that into the mix.

Connery's T&A grenadine grosso for the win.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads