• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah. I’m not upset.
But Kirby gets his stuff out ASAP.

one of the products I ordered was something I wanted to try sooner rather than later. Most can wait.
They post here and are super responsive. I'd talk to them. They may be able to help.

Megakurth

Reaction score
Always had a good experience with @kirbya. First experience was Black Friday years ago when he had a number of specials and I didn’t enter in some code properly. Decided to ring to leave a message, he answered and made the fixes on the spot. Attended a few of his cigar and shoeshine events in NYC and met some great people. Though I haven’t been as frequent of a buyer as I tend not to go through polish as much anymore, he’s still my hanger go-to (I’ve tried Butler Luxury and found though nice, even their smallest is too wide for my shoulders). Though some of his items are very “niche” for me, if I ever hit the point where I want/need a water Buffalo horn bic handle or something, I know where to go...

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is why I cannot find any videos of anyone polishing hangars. Plenty of shoe polish images, but why no love for the resinous wood?

I wish there were videos, for being cooped up at home means I simply have no time to read. It would certainly be educational for my dressing-room servant (that imbecile!), who constantly foils my heroic attempts at closetary organization with his failure to select and maintain the proper condition of hangar.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I wanted to know about belt maintenance recently and kirby’s video was great on this

I’m curious about his clothes brushes now

they seem kind of expensive but I’m guessing the quality is high

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
I wanted to know about belt maintenance recently and kirby’s video was great on this

I’m curious about his clothes brushes now

they seem kind of expensive but I’m guessing the quality is high
I have the double sided garment brush. It’s great.

it’s pricey. But it’s good. If you are looking for a cheaper one, I am sure one could be found. But if you are looking to have a quality brush for a while, I would say take the plunge. It is one of those items that you appreciate the more you use.

the collar stays and socks are also great purchases as well.

B78DE598-DF88-4AAA-86A6-8AB6B6A763C0.jpeg

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it’s pricey. But it’s good. If you are looking for a cheaper one, I am sure one could be found. But if you are looking to have a quality brush for a while, I would say take the plunge. It is one of those items that you appreciate the more you use.

View attachment 1538356
Nice that one just washed up on the shore for you.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score

View attachment 1538356
this may be a dumb question, but if you brush frequently, does it wear down the fabric over time? I guess it depends on how stiff the bristles are

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this may be a dumb question, but if you brush frequently, does it wear down the fabric over time? I guess it depends on how stiff the bristles are
It'll wear down for sure if dirt is trapped in fabric.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
it is double sided. It has stiff bristles and soft bristles.
I usually just give it a brush in the morning and one in the evening before hanging it. I don’t go overboard.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
I don't see all the ill will toward Kirby. I always found him to be kind and a gentleman.

I met him when he started the Hanger Project which was a great idea. I met him again at a Carmina shoe event about 2 years ago.

For those who do not like his videos, don't watch them. Also, no one is forcing you to buy his products.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a story I read once about an eccentric miser in the Victorian Era who refused to brush his clothes, for fear they would wear out and need replacing. Accordingly, he was perpetually dusty and dingy.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
it is double sided. It has stiff bristles and soft bristles.
I usually just give it a brush in the morning and one in the evening before hanging it. I don’t go overboard.
thanks

I guess what Im wondering is brushing clothes a lost art that still has modern merit or was it jettisoned for good reason and not just because modern people are wasteful slobs, etc

I hate dry cleaning by the way, so the idea of this as an alternative is appealing

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't see all the ill will toward Kirby. I always found him to be kind and a gentleman.

I met him when he started the Hanger Project which was a great idea. I met him again at a Carmina shoe event about 2 years ago.

For those who do not his videos, don't watch them. Also, no one is forcing you to buy his products.
No real ill-will on my part - I'm sure he's a decent person underneath it all, but I do find it foolish when someone talks about clothing rules in relation to fitting in with "the right sort of people," when traditionally that same someone would have been thoroughly rebuffed from those circles/formal events. It's one thing to talk about clothing style and how to look better, but I find the idea of mimicry in order to signal taste... well, distasteful.

I've never bought anything from him, but judging from these reviews it seems he delivers.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.