• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the deal with is Kirby Allison’s business model?

dlf1981

Reaction score
I tried to buy a full closet worth of new hangers - a mix of suit, pant, shirt, and dress - as I want everything matching in our closet remodel and they are the only place I can find a well made wide hanger suitable for XL sized knits - so it left me feeling limited on choice to say the least.

And I couldn't get then past a 10% discount. With product priced as such an absurd premium, I would have expected a better nod on a $3,000 purchase.

Every single thing I've ever seen on the site is just hilariously expensive, but I agree with previous posters that they do produce some quality videos.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
It would be better to wash your suits by hand and learn how to press them than send them off to a dry-cleaner, in my experience.

I'd literally eat my hat in preference, for then it might still serve a useful purpose.

Any tips?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If by washing, you mean wet washing, you should not wash your suits by hand. You will shrink the materials inside at different rates. There are some suits that you can throw into the wash, but they're generally not the types of things discussed here. They are very casual "suits" with nothing inside. Brooks Brothers also made some wash-and-wear suits in the 1950s or '60s, IIRC.

There's something called a sponge and press, where you clean a suit gently by spot cleaning. At the moment you learn how to press a suit jacket properly, I think you're basically working at a tailoring workshop. It's a very skilled thing that requires special equipment. If you really want to learn how, JefferyD wrote a useful guide here many years ago.

Some places offer a sponge and press. I know Rave offers the service. If you have a very high quality custom tailoring shop in your area, they may also offer it.

I think Rave's dry cleaning service is excellent, if you don't have someone local. They have papers on their site you can read about the cleaning process. I think if you clean your suits once or even twice a season -- which is on the frequent end of cleaning -- you'd be fine there. It costs something like $20 to ship things to them.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If by washing, you mean wet washing, you should not wash your suits by hand. You will shrink the materials inside at different rates. There are some suits that you can throw into the wash, but they're generally not the types of things discussed here. They are very casual "suits" with nothing inside. Brooks Brothers also made some wash-and-wear suits in the 1950s or '60s, IIRC.

There's something called a sponge and press, where you clean a suit gently by spot cleaning. At the moment you learn how to press a suit jacket properly, I think you're basically working at a tailoring workshop. It's a very skilled thing that requires special equipment. If you really want to learn how, JefferyD wrote a useful guide here many years ago.

The most anyone ought to do themselves is a sponge-and-press, brushing, and pressing the sleeves - which is all the maintenance a good wool should need.

What I'm saying is that I'd prefer to throw my suits into a scrub bucket than send them to the usual dry cleaner. At least that way I'm the one doing the ruining.

Last edited:

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with Jeeves in NYC for dry cleaning, but I also don’t know much about this stuff. If anyone knows a better place do tell.

Megakurth

Reaction score
I’ve had good luck with Jeeves in NYC for dry cleaning, but I also don’t know much about this stuff. If anyone knows a better place do tell.
Their tailor butchered a pair of pants (my first mistake was trusting a dry cleaner tailor even with their reputation) that I asked them to take out and sewed the waistband on incorrectly. Jerry Pozniak was relatively condescending when I asked them to fix it and the tailor still did a for lack of a better term a “**** job”. The dry cleaning was ok for the $200 or whatever absurd price I spent.

Hallak can’t clean a suit without pulverizing a horn button or two and arguing with me saying the cheap plastic button they put on “looks the same”.

I’ve had some luck with Madame Paulette, however it usually takes several e-mails with the owner (who I learned is a neighbor of mine in my building after a previous debacle) to get a clear answer on service, pickup and delivery.

I’m far from a difficult customer, but do have certain expectations when I’m spending a premium amount on dry cleaning compared to the “$15 dollar shine press special” at every other corner...

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kirby with another video up today about Alan Flusser's jackets. I'm almost tempted to put in an order after watching the video.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is why I cannot find any videos of anyone polishing hangars. Plenty of shoe polish images, but why no love for the resinous wood?

I wish there were videos, for being cooped up at home means I simply have no time to read. It would certainly be educational for my dressing-room servant (that imbecile!), who constantly foils my heroic attempts at closetary organization with his failure to select and maintain the proper condition of hangar.
I recommend you give writing a novel a shot - nothing to add to your post but what's up with 1700 century writing?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recommend you give writing a novel a shot - nothing to add to your post but what's up with 1700 century writing?

Well part of my work is writing already, so that's done.

I like writing with a little more flourish from time to time. It's the best diction for satire (my favourite humour), and it's fun to use. All that was obviously a joke, as I'd never countenance such incompetence in even a butler - all of my butlers can butle with stirring adroitness.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well part of my work is writing already, so that's done.

I like writing with a little more flourish from time to time. It's the best diction for satire (my favourite humour), and it's fun to use. All that was obviously a joke, as I'd never countenance such incompetence in even a butler - all of my butlers can butle with stirring adroitness.
one out of two SF mysteries solved. Now I need to understand if this son of saphire with his "me like this crocodile loafer" writing style is for real:)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one out of two SF mysteries solved. Now I need to understand if this son of saphire with his "me like this crocodile loafer" writing style is for real:)
He's been writing like that for years. Great job keeping up the act.

I remember one of his posts translated "would not even with *********" and he wrote it as "not **** with penis not of mine".

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
T4 also used to have a very strange way of writing on here. I talked to him a few times on the phone and he seemed like a very normal person otherwise. Smart, educated, etc. I don't really understand why he wrote like that.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Satire works well with purposefully affected diction.

willyto

Reaction score
Kirby with another video up today about Alan Flusser's jackets. I'm almost tempted to put in an order after watching the video.
I'm in Europe and it had the same effect on me... Jonathan knows how to sell you stuff and he looks great on the clothes.The jackets looked nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads