1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What is the classic spec. for these shoe types?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Jan 5, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

What is generally accepted as the classic leather material (calf, suede, cordovan, etc), colour and toe design for the following shoes types? I am referring to plain designs without brouging:

Captoe oxford: (eg: black calf, round toe etc)

Wholecut oxford:

Side gusset:

Monkstrap, single strap:

Chukka boot:

Thanks in advance.

2. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

There is no clear or easy answer here. All of these shoes have been and are properly made in a variety of leathers and colors, with a variety of toe designs. I will say that, historically, the most classic version of the single strap monk is in brown calf with a plain toe. But others will dispute my claim by showing you fine examples of other shoes that deviate from this, and I for one am not prepared to argue that they are all wet.

3. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Manton is, as usual, right.

For example, I will disagree with him and state that the classic monk is black leather, quoting from half a dozen different sources.

And the next poster will be able to do the same from his own perspective.

Will

4. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Well-Known Member

I'd think that the classic chukka boot is a tobacco suede with plain toe. Naturally, per Manton's dictum, all the forum members who recently purchased the Polo cordovan boot will disagree. Here's an example: Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â http://www.churchsshoes.com/TEMPLAT....oup=101

5. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....

Would it help if we defined what setting those shoe types would be used in, whether it is for business or casual?